oil leak

Oil is leaking on the drivers side right in front of the wheel, replaced oil pan gasket is there anything else on that side I should check? Anything would help.

Reply to
joecj7

Model? Year? Miles on car?

The driver's side of the crankshaft has an oil seal that is commonly replaced at each timing belt change. When was the TB last changed, and can you check whether the seal was replaced?

wrote

Reply to
Elle

91 Honda Accord how hard is that to change by yourself ? Also this leak is more like a small creek than a leak! But it is always on the drivers side.
Reply to
joecj7

wrote

I'd call it a job for someone who is comfortable with tools, reading manuals, and with several years experience doing at least basic car repairs and maintenance.

To get an idea of this seal's location, see page 2 of

. Look for the part called the "key." This seal is to the right of where the key inserts, going around the shaft. I researched this job for around 20 hours (spread over a few months) before attempting it back in 2004 on my 91 Civic. This newsgroup, along with the manual, gave a lot of help, too.

Can you crawl under the car and inspect very carefully to ascertain the source? Maybe put the car on ramps, wipe it down, drive it for a day, then put it back on ramps and inspect closely.

At least one other candidate is the camshaft oil seal.

When was the timing belt last changed (because this seal should have been changed then)?

How much oil do you add and how often?

Reply to
Elle

=================================

OK, it's a '91 Accord, but what's the mileage, is it OIL or something else, what side is the steering wheel on, and why did you change the oil pan gasket (it's one of the most mis-diagnosed problems on Hondas)???

"in front of the wheel" is where the windshield reservoir and maybe the Power Steering are located. Have you confirmed the color / taste of this mysterious 'oil' ???

Might have to open the hood.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

motsco_ wrote:

In addition to the caveats raised by Mostco, common sources of oil leaks on the driver's side of the engine include: the valve cover gasket, the camshaft seal, the front balance shaft seal, the rear balance shaft gear casing seal, and the front crankshaft seal. Note that there has been an abundance of problems with the front balance shaft seal leaking. To remedy this problem, Honda has developed an aluminum seal retainer that should be used when this seal is replaced. Note that replacing any of those seals, except for the valve cover gasket and the front cam seal, will require removing both the timing belt and the balance shaft belt. As such, they should be replaced at the time unless they've been done recently. It would also be a good time to replace the water pump. Essentially, you wind up rebuilding the left side of the motor, i.e., new seals, belts, pump and possibly new tensioner bearings depending on the mileage. Don't fret, this is typical maintenance on a Honda of this vintage. If you're not familiar with Honda timing belts, then it would probably be best to have a mechanic do this work. If you get the camshaft off by more than a tooth or two then it could result in bent valves requiring the head to be pulled. Getting the balance shaft belt off is not as extreme but the engine will likely run like an old out of balance washing machine during the spin cycle which will eventually cause the motor mounts to fatigue and fail prematurely.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Thanks curly did look under the hood crawled uner the car wiped it down put oil back in once it warmed up oil pressure light came on again and oil was by the inside part of the drivers side front wheel. Good puddle as well as seeing oil in spots where I pulled in. Whatever the leak it is leaking roughly all the oil out everyday.

Reply to
joecj7

Eric thanks that was the direction I was looking for to see if this was something I could do or if it would be out of my realm and it does sound like it is out of my comfort zone. Thanks

Reply to
joecj7