older honda

i am wanting to buy a 1992 honda civic. it has 150k. i am wondering at what mileage do hondas start having major car problems ( for fixing things) i am also wondering about transmission i read that there was a recall in 92 for transmission problems my friend also had a honda and transmission went out i am wondering if anyone has had same problem w/older honda civic & high miles if that is to be expected.

Reply to
lon

A well-maintained Honda will go forever with no MAJOR issues. Same is true for most makes, really.

A poorly-maintained car will be falling apart at that point.

Service records are at least as important as raw mileage.

Reply to
Matt Ion

No, it won't explode at 151K. :)

Assuming the engine's belts, hoses, fluids have been maintained, and the car hasn't been raced/abused, the lump should be good to go for another

50K, easy. Any original accessories like water pumps, alternators, etc., are probably nearing the end of their lifespan.

Dunnow anything about the auto transmission issues.

The chassis will be tired. Steering and suspension joints will be worn. The wheels won't fall off, but the handling will be vague compared to a new car.

Double check for any signs of rust/corrosion before buying.

Things like heater cores and heat/AC switches may start to have problems.

FWIW, my 155K Accord is going well, although there are a few niggling issues to chase down. (AC leak, mild low speed stutter, will need a CV axle changed sometime in the next few months.) The motor burns about 1 qt. of oil every 4~5K miles and the transmission (5spd) also seems to be in fantastic shape.

Look the car's overall condition. If the paint is beat to hell, the interior cracking and torn, you gotta figure that the engine and other systems probably didn't get any better treatment.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg Campbell

How much work are you willing to do yourself? If you are the type, go buy 2 cars that are 'fixer-uppers'. Make sure the engine runs well, and swap out parts from one to the other.

Fender panels are cheap. 100 or so per. 125 or so for the bumper. No reason you cant go that way.

Or, like everyone else mentioned, make sure that there is no rust. I bought one last summer, when there was a dry spell. Imagine my surprise when it rained. It was like driving through a car-wash with the windows rolled down. Cost me a lot to deal with all that. I love the fact that it runs so well. It was my first SI. I have a neighbor who ones a body shop that did some cheap work for me. I will go back to him any time now.

2 things that you need to keep in mind. Brakes, and tires. I had to get a set of new brakes that were 800 to put them in. 500$ for new tires (pirellis. I am sooo happy with them p3000). 2 things that you will need right off the bat. My car has 250 on it. My buddies probably has 350 on his.

Just another ramble.

l> i am wanting to buy a 1992 honda civic. it has 150k. i am wondering at

Reply to
Shaggz