p0740

ok new question. the code read P0740. does anyone know what that means?

1996 Honda Accord
Reply to
bummed71904

bummed71904 wrote in news:986250_ snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

(Assuming a 4-cylinder here...)

A tranny problem: "Problem in Lock-up Control System".

Any symptoms accompanying the error code?

Speedometer working OK?

Is your lockup torque converter not locking up?

How old is your engine's thermostat?

Reply to
Tegger

You can find codes at

comes up as TCC Circuit Malfunction. I love acronyms; I presume TCC=Transmission Control Computer but I could always be wrong. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:IbmdnStzCrk603LYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Actron's description is incorrect for Honda. See my other post.

Reply to
Tegger

well, it has been acting like it is skipping gears for over 6 months now. All of yhe mechanics I take it to say that is just how an old honda drives?!?!?!?! I had two themorstats put on in the past 6 months and the speedometer works fine, the rpm one on the other hand doesn?t. It jumps around like crazy. I am actually throwing my hands up on this one and calling quits. I am not putting anymore money into a 96. But i appreciate your help!

"Tegger" wrote: > bummed71904 wrote in news:986250_ > snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com: > > > ok new question. the code read P0740. does anyone know what > that > > means? > > > > 1996 Honda Accord > > > > > > (Assuming a 4-cylinder here...) > > A tranny problem: "Problem in Lock-up Control System". > > Any symptoms accompanying the error code? > > Speedometer working OK? > > Is your lockup torque converter not locking up? > > How old is your engine's thermostat? > > > > -- > Tegger

Reply to
bummed71904

bummed71904 wrote in news:986549_ snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

If the tach is jumping around, you have an igniter that's intermittent. Unusual, as they normally fail outright.

Replace the igniter. Bet that gets rid of both problems.

Reply to
Tegger