Problem with Honda CD player and home-burned CDs

My 2001 Odyssey has the single disc CD player in the dash. The player has no problem playing retail CDs, but it struggles with CDs that I have burned myself. It will often take a couple minutes to find the starting point and begin playing. Once there it is usually OK, but if you skip a track, be prepared to wait sometimes 30 minutes for it to figure out where the skipped-to track is and latch on to it.

It seems at its worst when it is playing a live album (such as a bootleg recording) - I don't know if the audience noise somehow messes with its ability to locate the beginning of a track.

I have used gold, silver and other-colored CDs and they all have problems.

Does anyone think this could be perhaps an artifact of the speed at which I burn these - that the Honda player would prefer something burned at 1x or 2x (instead of 8x or 16x)? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Be

Reply to
BE

The CD player in my 2002 Civic has the exact same issue with many otherwise high-quality CD-R discs. It seems it's a bit of a picky player, but I've found the solution.

Use Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs. They work perfectly in my Honda - just the same as pressed CDs.

If you've never heard of Taiyo Yuden, that's no surprise -- they don't sell their own branded discs at retail in the US, only wholesale; however, they've manufactured discs in the past for Fujifilm, TDK, Verbatim, and other brands you might have heard of. They are generally regarded as one of, if not the best, CD-R and DVD-R manufacturers.

Buying CD-R and DVD-R media retail is a tricky proposition -- primarily since brands and the actual manufacturers differ. One month the pack of TDKs you buy might be made by Taiyo Yuden and they will be really good discs, and the next they might be made by, say, CMC, a manufacturer with a lesser reputation. So you have people saying "TDK is great" and someone else saying "TDK sucks" and they might both be right for their respective discs with their respective players. So as a word of advice, if you care about quality, buy by manufacturer, not brand.

The online store that stocks these with the best reputation is

you can also find them at many other places, such as meritline.com/cdrdvdrmedia.com (both owned by the same company, but sometimes different prices on each site) or supermediastore.com.

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs can also occasionally be found in retail stores, but it's a crapshoot. Fujifilm-branded discs that say "Made in Japan" on the packaging (but not "Made in Taiwan") are most likely TYs.

Hope this helps.

Nate

Reply to
Nathan Strom

This may not be of any help to you. But, I had a similar problem with a completely different system that I solved by taking the action you propose. The record speed that seems to work best for me is 8x, so you might try to experiment a bit.

I also found it necessary to turn off the multi-session function, which seems to be on by default in Nero.

However, it is possible that the Honda simply will not read home-burned disks for some arcane reason.

Are these .wav files or .mp3? If mp3, try burning a CD with .wav files and see if that works. 2002 CD players should read .mp3s with no problem, but you never know.

Hope this helps. Report back, please.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

I haven't had this problem with the CD player in my 2004 Civic. Most of my CD-R discs are Maxells, and I burned .wav files onto them as audio tracks, at speeds ranging from 8x to 32x.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

On 11/27/2006 9:41 AM Elliot Richmond spake these words of knowledge:

OK, Elliot, I gotta know: who wants to learn about itinerant astronomy?

Sorry.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

I forgot to mention that the recent batch of CD-R media I used was Verbatim brand. I don't know if they tend to have this kind of problem or not.

As for the types of files I am burning - they are (lossless) .flac files that Toast Titanium somehow handles during the burning process. The "finished" file type as my iMac sees it is .aiff, which is the type it would call the individual track files of a commercial CD.

I'll try burning one of the same albums that was trouble and do so at a lower burn speed and let you know how it plays.

Thanks, Be

Reply to
BE