Re: Headline I thought I'd never see

...and probably rightly so. Only thing is I think that the mojo was lost beginning with the '84 models though I must concede that a good part of *that* was due to guv'ment interference..

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

Let's see... The Volt cost $45K and has a 40 mile range

The Nissan Leaf cost $35K and has a 100 mile range

Hmmmmmmmm

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

well, now THAT'S a completely different question.

I strongly suspect it's because of our national motto, "more is better".

hehehehehehe

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

absolutely. But for usefulness, both the Prius and the Volt are way more suited to everyday life than the Leaf could ever hope to be.

Also, isn't the *base* Prius significantly less than that?

My '07 base (as in, so base the dealers didn't carry that model) was something like $22K. Surely, it hasn't gone up that much since.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

here in kalifornistan, particularly the bay area, there's not a lot of competition. and the prius is extremely popular. neither work for good pricing.

Reply to
jim beam

The bay area is a world unto itself.

Reply to
Stewart

That may be.

In which case, the Volt is *still* superior--because the majority of American drivers drive less than 40 miles per day, but some days do significantly more and want/need the flexibility to beyond that hundred miles.

It doesn't make sense to have a specialty vehicle, like a $40K scooter, to do a narrow range of things.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

and there you have it. in a nutshell.

Reply to