Re: just how hard is it chg timing belt 99 accord?

>> "Eric" wrote >> > The tool I made uses two bolts which act as pins to go >> > through the holes in the crankshaft pulley. The bolts are attached to >> > a >> > heavy iron bar. For this, I obtained a piece of scrap for free from an >> > ornamental iron works shop. It's a section of top railing about 2 feet >> > long. The bolts are inserted into the holes in the pulley and the bar >> > prevents the engine from turning by swinging up against the suspension >> > as the pulley bolt is loosened. The Honda tool only has one pin and >> > uses their special socket to provide a second pin. If you make a tool, >> > you may want to use high grade bolts, e.g., grade 8 or equivalent. >> >> Thanks. Using your description, along with the photo and description at >>
, I think I have a>> much better picture of how your tool works.> > The pulley holder that I've made is somewhat similar in concept to the one > pictured in that link. However, I have the bolts going through the bar. > The bar is actually a shallow U shape that's flat on one side. The bolts > protrude from the flat side which is the side that's put up against the > crank pulley. I put nuts on the bolts on the back side of the pulley to > help hold the bar to the pulley. In my prior post I recommended using > 7/16" > bolts since they were close to 12mm. However, I didn't have those around > so > I used 10x1.25x40mm bolts which protrude roughly 36mm from the flat side > of > the bar. The following rough sketches may give you a better picture > (though > they are not to scale). > > | _______ | | | the way to go. However, if you need it for a longer period of time, then > $26/day can add up pretty fast and it may be more economical to build a > pulley holder. > > Eric
Reply to
Rich Gray

=================================

On a '99 He probably needs the 50mm hex tool to hold the flywheel pulley steady. because there's a rubber harmonic damper built into the pulley, you can't safely clamp it from the outside (at least not on the Gen 1 CR-V) They're easy to build (see Tegger's FAQ) or you can often get them on eBay.com

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

I bought one of these

it did a great job. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Michael, I built a really nice one for about $5, (using the plumbing adapter) My time and the welding was free. It doesn't tie up a second socket handle. I got the idea from the Chilton's manual for Odyssey / CR-V that has a red CR-V on the cover. Here's the link to Tegger's FAQ that I alluded to:

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'