Re: Prelude Check Engine light -- no code

Make: Honda

> Model: Prelude > Year: 1996

Hello, I suggest that you visit Kragens or AutoZone and buy a OBD II scanner. They now have one for sale that can read and reset codes--the cost is less than $70.00. Last year, the cheapest ones were over $120.00--at least at the stores that I visited. They may also check your codes and reset them for free--esp. at AutoZone.

Trim Line: VTEC > > Check engine light came on. I have the Helm manual, so I jumpered the > service check connector as described in the manual. > > I then turned the key to just before engine start, and the Check > engine light stays on solid. (It flickers briefly, as it normally does > when starting. ) > > No blink code. Solid MIL. Is this blink code "0" ? > > It says if the code is not listed, replace the ECM. But there is a > "0" code. I am just a little lost on how to interpret that. (or maybe > I'm scared to lookup the cost of a new ECM. It sounds expensive.) > > I also checked the flow chart "Checking the ECM". The box I get stuck > at is "Does the MIL indicate any DTC? (this is after jumpering) > If yes, go to the diagnostic codes page. This puts me back to square > one. > If I assume "no", then I need a harness and some other equipment which > I don't have.. > > Oh, there is no noticeable problem with the car, except the MIL. It > runs fine and the MPG is about the same. > > The only thing I have left is to reset the ECM, but I thought I would > check here first and see if someone has been down this road. > > Randall Fox
Reply to
Jason

I think I will reset the ECM and if it trips again, see about getting the code.

I found a small blurb in the helm manual that states if there is no code, the light will just remain on.

I may have waited to long to fetch the code from the ECM, although this doesn't sound right.

Thank you

Randall Fox

Reply to
Randall Fox