Transmission Toast at 44,000 miles! 2002 Civic EX

Hi,

I had a 2002 Honda Civic EX for one year. Previous owner did all maintenance required. Car always run like a charm. Yesterday while driving uphill on a mild slope the transmission just blew-up! The car came to a complete stop and in the middle of the road and it would not move forward or backwards. My mechanic wants to charge me 4K to rebuid it. I almost passed out! Aren't these cars supposed to be reliable?!

I called a specialized transmission shop and they cannon believe that a transmission would just blow in a Honda with 44K miles, specially without any warning. They want to diagnose it and would charge me 2K worse case-scenario.

Honda dealership wants to look at it and they say they might be able to do something since I am only 9K out of the warantee, but if they have to replace it it would be even more than 4K. Hell, the ftranny reight from Japan would be 400 bucks!

I am sooo disapointed with Honda! This is my 3rd Honda. My last one was stolen and I took my chances buying a new one just for the reliability! I am sooo pised! Any advice?

Patty

Reply to
dolo.diaz

Certainly start with the dealership and see if they can get Honda to cover you if it needs replacement. Honda has a reputation for giving some slack on warranty issues.

My advice is to start by being very concerned and asking for help. Emphasis that you are a repeat Honda customer and are very surprised by this unexpected turn of events. Ask the dealership to do everything they can to help you in your time of need. Try not to express anger in the first interactions as that might put the dealership people on the defensive rather than putting them into a help you out frame of mind.

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

John

Reply to
John Horner

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

See my reply to this identical message in rec.autos.makers.honda.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On 7/25/2006 2:28 AM TeGGeR® spake these words of knowledge:

Tegger, many people don't read rec.auto.makers.honda. I see that putting this message here serves to direct those people to finishing the thread, but why not put the reply in all of the newsgroups? If everyone read all the newsgroups out there, we'd only need one.

This is something I've never understood, and I've been on usenet since the early 80's. Heck, I'm one of those suckers who was paying $4 a month to keep dialup Fidonet going.

If I were asking a question in several Honda groups, it would be because I would expect to contact different people; of course, there are many who subscribe to multiple newsgroups on a subject - and there are many who don't. I have actually seen grown people (who should know better) suggest that it's OK to ask a question in more than one newsgroup, as long as you don't do it by sending the same question at once, but rather by typing it (or at least) sending it as a separate transmission. I have never found anyone who could suggest a reasonable basis for this notion.

Anyway, I think of you as a pretty reasonable person, so perhaps you can help an old computer guy out.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Which is why cross-posting exists.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:B%nxg.341$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Crossposting is the tool used to put a reply in all groups. All newsreaders are capable of it, but some make the process a bit arcane.

Even if you're only able to see one of the groups, you can at least see by the headers that it has been posted to other groups as well, giving you a chance to use Google Groups to fill in what your provider may not carry. Google Groups can even fill in for those situations where some ignoramus thought he was being clever by removing the crossposting in his reply.

That there exist two groups with identical subject matter is stupid. (rec.autos.makers.honda; alt.autos.honda). If I had any control over it, I'd consolidate them.

If our friend had crossposted correctly, or had indicated to people that the message was posted to more than one group (and which groups those were), then there wouldn't be a problem.

As it stood, any reply in one group would not be seen by the other, as about half the audience would be unaware of any answers in one place or the other. Hardly fair, so in these cases I put my reply in one place and just point to it.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I second that. Service people are people (well, most of them) and will go much farther for a friend than for an adversary. If they see a customer who is confident they will make him happy again they will give the best you can get from them.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi Can somebody post Tegger's post here. Thanks.

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
ExtremeValue

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:WTzxg.1564$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Because like a lot of people, he is unaware of correct Usenet etiquette. He has MULTIposted instead of crossposting.

Multiposting is poor form because you may end up making fools of those who engage in a debate in one group, unaware that someone in another group may have given the best and most informative answer yet.

I refuse to condone multi-posting. I will put my answer in one place, then point to that.

Reply to
TeGGeR®