2001 Sante Fe - Fuel flow problems

Last week our trusty Santa Fe left us in a lurch by failing to start. It cranked pefectly but wouldn't run over. We had it towed to our local independent garage and they stated it need a new fuel pump.

$700 later we drive it home. Well the next day it wouldn't start again with the same symptoms.

So my questions are this- what codes if any would have been present in the original condition and now? Are there any sensors or fuses that control the flow of fuel or operation of the fuel pump? Obviously something else is going on unless they bozo garage just didn't get it right in the re-assembly. The car has 106000 miles and has otherwise been very good to us. We did put in a new starter a few months back.

Any ideas? I plan to call the garage Tuesday mornign to give them hell.

Thanks-

Kevin

Reply to
Capt. Courageous

I hope HyundaiTech in this NG will pick up on this thread.

Its a possibility that the relay for the fuel pump is acting up ,intermittently., as well.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Your fuel pump is controlled by the ECM and a relay. One failure mode is that the electrical wiring in the fuel pump assembly burns. If the repair facility replaced the pump but not the whole assembly, it's possible that they didn't repair the whole issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I went out and looked at the relay (in the fuse housing) and found it to be a bit loose. I pulled it out and reseated it fully. Also pushed down on all of the other relays. A few of those had some room to give.

That got it started!!!

So I took it back to the shop anyhow to have them go over eveything. They had the tech "tighten up" some of the sockets for the relays. I guess it is reasonable that they could get loose over time or the Fuel pump socket may have been loosened some during the initial repair. Anyway all is well.

Now for the bad news - I traded it in for a new car (not a Hyundai - I would have bought another S Fe 'cept for the poor gas mileage). So while I may not be lurking quite as much, it is still good to know some good guys are out there with car tips and tricks.

Catch ya'll later-

Kevin

Reply to
Capt. Courageous

'Now for the bad news - I traded it in for a new car (not a Hyundai)'

REPLY: Some of the fellas from this NG will be stopping by with baseball bats .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa