2002 XG350 timing belt problems

Finally did the timing belt on my 2002 XG350 now that it just turned 90,000 miles. After about 8 hours of hidden bolts, no access space, and bleeding knuckles it was finished. Started right up, ran it around the block...running good. Next morning I drive to work. 50 miles. No problems, cars running great. At lunch I hop in the car, and the car doesn't start. No spark

Can anything come up with a scenario that would fit this? I'm having trouble. Only thing I can think of is maybe the crank sensor by the water pump that got a little wet when the water pump was replaced? Does such a device have a startup circuit and a run circuit such that the startup circuit could go bad while driving to work and it only gets noticed the next time I try and start the car? I know its not the timing, as we marked the belt, transferred the marks to the new belt, then installed the new belt (this worked very well by the way) and then checked the timing marks too, and everything was dead on...plus it drove 50 miles running perfectly.

As always, your help is appreciated

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

If it's related to anything you did, I'd primarily suspect that the crank sensor wiring may have gotten caught up in something. Can't hurt to check all the connectors you had to pop loose to get to everything.

If it cranks faster than normal, that's a sign the timing belt jumped for some reason.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry about your trouble, Dan. And, no, I don't have any answers for you. But I do have a question.

I am trying to ascertain how long that 3.5L engine can REALLY go between timing belts. I know one should not really play this game, especially with an interference engine.

It seems that some engines, where replacement is called for at 60,000 miles, will go well over 100,000, while others seem lucky to get to 50,000. I'm wondering what this engine will do.

What condition was the belt you just took off?? Just curious.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

As far as I was concerned, the belt looked fine. But the guy doing the work (a friend of mine) said that it looked like it needed replacing. Some of what he based his opinion on was the fact that the nice bright white lettering on the back side of the belt was faded down to be almost unreadable and he said that someone else once told him that that was one of the "tricks" you could use to help decide if the belt was good or not. I suspect that the belts are just like modern radiator hoses these days...you really can't tell by inspection. At any rate, I used 5yrs/60000 miles whichever comes LAST and got away with it. My wife's XG350 (yes, we have his and hers) is 5 years 60,000 now and I'm planning on doing that one within the next month. For what its worth, HyundaiTech said that the XG350 is "not known for throwing its belt".

The problem with mine, by the way, was the crankshaft position sensor wire, the insulation had broken down and it had shorted. We found out that the crankshaft position sensor is only used to start the car and then the camshaft position sensor takes over, so that explains what happened to me. Thanks HyundaiTech!

Dan

Reply to
Dan K