2003 Sonata Heater Core Replacement?

We have a 2003 Sonata that needs to have the heater core replaced. The temp. is getting hot out here in the desert (AZ) and we'd like to get this replaced so we have A/C, but our money is really tight, so can't afford to have it done by either the dealer or a repair shop. So, I'm thinking about doing it myself, but cannot find any information about how to do it. Is there any online source/manual that will give me step-by-step directions on how to do this?

We have metric tools and fair mechanical ability, but at my age (64) and size, my physical dexterity is somewhat limited.

Thanks for any suggestions any of you can provide. Lee

Reply to
Lee

Unfortunately, you'll need to remove the dash. You can find repair manuals at

If you don't already have a free account there, you'll need to register.

I'm a little confused about why you need to replace the heater core to have a/c. The a/c should work regardless of whether you have a functioning heater core.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Reply to
Lee

I sure hope he plans on finding a new mechanic and getting that heater fixed before he needs it this fall. Talk about a cobbed up fix...

I'd avoid that mechanic like the plague in the future.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

As a teenager, I did that to a couple of cars to get by for a while. I even drove my '61 Bonneville for a week with cardboard blocking the hole in the firewall until I got the heater core fixed and back in. That was a very cold week.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski