2017 Elantra Value Edition

Bought one last night, pick it up tonight. Just thought I'd share ;-) It's the 6th new Hyundai I've bought starting in 2003. All have been very good to great! My son still drives the 05 Elantra GT, but we are going to give him my wife's 2014 Accent 5 door to replace it now. If you can't tell, I am 100% a Hyundai guy now. Thought about a Sonata or a Tucson, but I realized I just don't need or want a bigger car these days, and I enjoy getting good gas mileage and fitting the car easily into my small packed garage.

Reply to
jtees4

Congratulations. Elantra is a good looking car and you know all the rest as you've had a bunch of them. I'm on my 4th. I went with a Genesis last time as I needed some size and wanted the comfort. The past three days I drove 1300 miles and will add another 1500 over the next week or so. Best highway car I've ever had.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My boss has an Elantra. He used to have an Azera but, like you, thinks that the smaller car suits him better. He seems as happy as a clam with this car.

Reply to
dsi1

Thanks. My garage was probably the decidinbg factor....I keep it neat, but do have a lot of stuff in there. An Elantra fits easily. Anything bigger and I'd have to rearrange everything or constantly be hitting and or scratching the car. I liked my 14Elantra GT BUT the trunk area was small. The sedan style trunk is much bigger, that was my main goal too. Plus I think I got a great deal...I was willing to walk...and it worked out.

Reply to
jtees4

Yeah...the Elantra size really does suit me. This is my third style change of Elantra. All were good, but I can feel the refinements of each generation. More electronics than I want or need, but sometimes things come in handy even though I didn't really want them.

Reply to
jtees4

hat the smaller car suits him better. He seems as happy as a clam with this car.

Cars in a few years will no longer need to electronically control combustio n/emission systems. Instead, the electronics will be used to know the prefe rences and daily routines of the passengers and drive the vehicle. They wil l be more like cell phones than those mechanical gas burning beasts that we grew up with and have come to know, love, and hate. Get ready for your wor ld to be rocked. :)

Reply to
dsi1

Trunk space is one reason i have a larger model. It just fits everything we took for this trip.

The deal is one reason I've bought 4 cars from the same dealer. Lst time around I got a True Car price. I was going to go to that dealer but thought I'd give my local dealer a shot first. He have me a price higher and I told him what I'd pay. He said too low, how did I come up with it. Showed him the email from TrueCar. He took my phone to show the manager and in 30 seconds I had the deal.

You're going to like the new electronics, like the lane change warning. Saved my ass once.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I never tried true car, but I was wondering how it was...I see the commercial constantly. I guess they give you a total price less tax on the app? I generally go in with a price in mind, and it is an "out the door" price including tax. The only addiltional $ I pay is DMV charges. I do pay cash, so that helps get the deal I want. I tried a new dealership close to home, but I was ready to go right back where I bought my last two if needed. I really intended to buy a car towards the end of May because now I have to keep the extra one around until June 10th when my son will pick it up...but that's OK.

Reply to
jtees4

I agree, I see it coming but I don't like it at all!

Reply to
jtees4

I do not have the app but went to the web site. Filled out the information for the car I wanted and clicked the button. Walked to the family room and told my wife what I did and that I would probably get some phone calls. I was not finished when the phone rang.

I talked to the dealer and told him what I wanted and he had two in stock. He sent me an email with the price. I was going to buy as it was a good price but the dealer was 60 miles away. I went to my closer dealer and they matched. Really easy and I think I got a very good deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

s that the smaller car suits him better. He seems as happy as a clam with t his car.

tion/emission systems. Instead, the electronics will be used to know the pr eferences and daily routines of the passengers and drive the vehicle. They will be more like cell phones than those mechanical gas burning beasts that we grew up with and have come to know, love, and hate. Get ready for your world to be rocked. :)

I'm getting to appreciate taking naps during the day and after a lifetime o f driving people around, I don't mind being ferried to and fro by computers . My guess is that the interior of cars will be designed like stretch limos instead of the conventional layout. I intend to be taking plenty of naps i n my car. It's all going to be like magic. You can dial in a destination, t ake a nap, and when you wake up, you'll be at your destination. Brilliant!

Traveling across the county will be a popular pastime again. I think it wil l be a golden age of travel. Places like NYC, SF, and Hollywood, could be s wamped with tourists. It's going to be interesting.

Reply to
dsi1

But some of us like to drive. I have 2000 miles in the past week and I'll start Monday and do another 1500 by the time we are home.

I can see advantages though. You get to see more than the road and in the boring places you can nap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bustion/emission systems. Instead, the electronics will be used to know the preferences and daily routines of the passengers and drive the vehicle. Th ey will be more like cell phones than those mechanical gas burning beasts t hat we grew up with and have come to know, love, and hate. Get ready for yo ur world to be rocked. :)

me of driving people around, I don't mind being ferried to and fro by compu ters. My guess is that the interior of cars will be designed like stretch l imos instead of the conventional layout. I intend to be taking plenty of na ps in my car. It's all going to be like magic. You can dial in a destinatio n, take a nap, and when you wake up, you'll be at your destination. Brillia nt!

will be a golden age of travel. Places like NYC, SF, and Hollywood, could be swamped with tourists. It's going to be interesting.

I don't believe that the younger generation has the same appreciation for t he motor car. They live in a digital electronic world. We grew up in an ele ctro-mechanical world. The internal combustion engine has it's roots in the age of steam engines and the traditions of the industrial revolution. I th ink it doubtful that the kids these days will ever own such a complex mecha nical assemblage as the modern automobile engine once they are replaced by the electric motor.

Having the car do the driving will be fine with them and it will allow them to do more important stuff with their time i.e., texting and streaming. :)

Reply to
dsi1

Frankly, I don't think too many of the younger generation will even own thier own car, they will be living in a shared house and share cars through uber or whatever new "app" takes over the shared car business. I know a lot of young people and that's just how they seem to feel about things, they don't even WANT to own thier own things. At least the urban young people that I know in and around NYC. Probably is different in rural areas and other States.

Reply to
jtees4

When we were about 14 years old all we thought about was trying to see a naked girl and cars. Not so much on the second part any more. Many teens are not getting a license at 16. They do have a phone though.

If I'm still around in 20 yeas a self driver may be the right thing as I probably would not be safe any more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

[...]

I think you're right about car ownership being not too important in the new world. It's certainly disruptive technology. Cars will be seen as applianc es although the cars will range from bare bones transportation to luxurious rides. People won't be getting killed and maimed on our roads anymore. Ins uring an automobile will be totally different. DUIs will no longer be a maj or social problem but alcoholism will flourish. It's going to affect the ai rline industry. Infidelity and illicit sex will rise because for a lot of p eople, the self-driving car will be seen as a moving motel. Welcome to the new world. :)

Reply to
dsi1

Girls and cars. I'm 59...married 35 years and that's all I STILL think about!

Reply to
jtees4

Go to any of the car shows and just about all you see is us old farts. Maybe a few in their 30's.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski