Another Question for Mr. Hyundaitech

I have a 2002 Elantra. I have been struggling with some alignment issues. At this time, it is "drifting" right as I drive. But, as I accelerate, it wants to pull right HARD.

I know one should keep their hand firmly on the steering wheel at all times anyway (and I will and do), but have I got something else going on here than just an alignment issue? I can't say I have ever noticed any other front wheel drive car that wants to pull one way or the other when you accelerate.

Thanx for your help.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

The pulling on acceleration is indeed a common occurrence on front drive cars and is called "torque steer." It varies in severity from vehicle to vehicle, but in most cases is quite normal.

As for the drifting, we'll presume your steering wheel is centered and your alignment is within spec. If the car tends to actually begin steering toward one direction or the other on flat smooth pavement, then it's likely a difference in the rolling resistance of the tires. Often, rotating tires will reduce or eliminate the condition.

Reply to
hyundaitech