Considering A Used 08 Sante Fe

I think it's time to replace my 1993 Pathfinder.

I'm looking at a 2008 Sante Fe SE/Limited with a little over 17K mileage. The asking price $18K.

Almost seems to good to be true? CarFax says it was purchased late Feb

2008 and sold late Dec 2009. CarFax reported repairs are replacement of the Air Filter and Wipers two months after it was sold in 2009. CarFax reports no other problems.

It seems odd that the oil hasn't been changed. I took a look at oil filters for this auto and it looks like they don't have a outside case? It looks like an air filter? Where is the oil filter located on this auto?

It appears the warranty is transferable so it has 31 months or 42K miles remaining on the 60 month, 60K basic warranty.

I haven't found a bad review of this auto. Every one that owns one seems to really like it, comparing it in quality to a Toyota.

I've only taken it for a short test drive but I plan to keep it for a few hours or even overnight and to drive it on the highway, have a look under it, etc. and have a mechanic give it a quick once-over. Is there anything I should look for to indicate a hidden problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
JD

"JD" wrote

How do you know the oil has not been changed? If you are relying on Car Fax, get a reality check. They have no clue as to anything done on my cars unless it was done at the dealership and that is only warranty work.

Yes, the filter is the type that was used years ago. It sits on top of the engine under a shroud. IIRC, there are four nuts to take off to remove the cover to expose it. Filter change is fairly simple too.

Pretty much what I've found. Years ago, I used to laugh at people buying Hyundai as the late 80's models were not so good. They improved quality to be above the norms and they are a solid car with minimal trouble. Their plants are well equipped with the latest technology and accurate robots for much assembly and welding operations. I'm happily on my second Sonata.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OK. I'm not that familiar with CarFax. Last time I bought a car was 1993.

OK. It is not like the oil filter on my Pathfinder so that's why I ask.

OK. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
JD