Cruise Control Problem, not related to Hyundai though

1998 Elantra manual I had installed a cruise control after I bought the car. This problem only seems to happen in the colder weather -10 Celsius and below

I'm at my speed, I then press set, then the car immediately speeds to at least 20 kmh over the set limit. Sometimes it keeps on going (scary) but then it goes back to where I set it. Sometimes after it has been on cruise for a while, it slowly starts increasing speed 10-20 kmh over the set and them immediately drops off to the set limit.

This problem seems to go away after the engine warms up. I know this is not a Hyundai problem, but these seems a good group for answers. Any answers out there?

Thanks, George

Reply to
GP

No idea George, this is a weird one. Did you check with the manufacturer, or the install - assuming you had it installed.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd suspect the cruise actuator is sticking and then finally releases. Most aftermarket units are vacuum operated, so I'd be very careful about lubrication, for fear of damaging the diaphragm of the actuator. Have a look around to see if anything seems to be binding up.

Reply to
hyundaitech