Disinfectant for window washer system?

I eventually tracked the unpleasant cabin smell in my Elantra to window washer fluid that had started growing mold (or whatever). I flushed the reservoir which has helped a lot. I'd like to be able to unplug it at the bottom to make sure it's clean, but I'm not sure how to access it ( ? ) Also, is there something that can be mixed in with the washer fluid on a regular basis to prevent the growth of nasty stuff that won't hurt the tubing, etc? TIA

Reply to
Victek

I thought the blue stuff used alcohol to prevent freezing, which ought to be a great disinfectant too. Were you using something other than the blue stuff? I've also seen a TV short advertising a news show that caught a major oil change place giving their customers free windshield wiper fluid that was colored blue but turned out to be almost 100% water.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Never heard of windshield fluid going moldy. What brand? Most are loaded iwth alcohol so there should be no hint of mold surviving in there. Try changing brands.

Check you AC also, that is a popular place for odors to start. Be sure it is drainin properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the replies. Yes, you would think that blue windshield cleaning fluid would already resist any kind of growth, but I've seen the problem before. I was using some $1 a gallon generic fluid from Kmart or Wal-Mart so maybe that's the problem? I'm guessing there are better quality brands I can look for - any recommendations?

Regarding the AC, I thought it was the problem at first, but then I started noticing that the odor always started coming through the vents right after I used the washer.

Reply to
Victek

I've not used that stuff for years. It is OK when the temperature is above freezing, but for really cold weather it causes as many problems as it is supposed to stop. I've been using the Prestone or RainX brands of the yellow colored stuff. Works much better in the AM when there is a little frost on the glass or when driving in very low temperatures. It works out to less than $5 extra a year to use the premium quality.

If you saw mold in the tank, I'd have to say that was the problem, but it can also be a reaction between the fluid and other growth in the air intake. This has been discussed in the past and some feel spraying a bleach solution in the inlet is a big help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually, most are NOT loaded with alcohol during the summer. Look on the label of one of the jugs that you were putting in there - it might have changed because we are going into winter. I've noticed most of them have little alcohol during the summer - label either says "protects to 20 degrees F" or lists a real low VOC content. The high alcohol stuff says it's good down to -20 to -30 degrees F. California apparently doesn't allow alcohol in washer fluid.

Reply to
Bob