740 Window Washer Tee

I ordered a tee fitting for the Window Washer on my 1990 740. When it arrived I tried to blow through it in all directions but found it wouldn't pass any air at all.

I contacted the supplier and they sent me another one. This one is the same. If I can't blow through it how could a small pump force water through it? Am I missing something or doing something wrong ?

Thanks,

Perk

Note --- My real email is perkatwavecabledotcom

Reply to
Perk

On mine (1987 740) when I took it off and blew through it, there was a one way valve inside of it. You should be able to pass water from the bottom up and out through the two sides only.

My red top was leaking water, so I used some Automotive GOOP to seal it and it worked fine for me. I'm not sure why it needs this valve. Maybe to keep the pump primed, or to provide even pressure to both sides.

Try it with water on the car to be sure.

Perk wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

This is normal. The pump puts out much higher pressure than your lungs. Install it and see.

Reply to
Mike F

Oh, if you want to see something fun, if you ever have to re-wire the pump -- switch the wires on the two prongs. Mine reversed direction and was sucking instead of pumping.

Weird.

Mike F wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Hmmmm, I wonder if that will work on my wife, too?

roll dem bones

Reply to
zencraps

nah - worse. Reverse the wiring on women and they become men. LOL

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

You were right Mike, I put it on and, as I sat there amazed, the darn water came right on through like magic.

Thanks all,

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

Those pumps are capable of much more pressure than your lungs, try it, it'll probably work fine.

Reply to
James Sweet

They're just a permanent magnet DC motor driving a pump consisting of two meshed gears. If you reverse the current, the motor will run backwards and it'll pump in the opposite direction.

Reply to
James Sweet

So you're saying I can make my Volvo suck? LOL

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

When I worked in an avionics shop that included an instrument shop, I tested my lung power to see how much pressure I could produce by blowing. As an avid cyclist at the time I thought I could blow a storm. 2 PSI was the best I could manage!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That's why I named my XC70 Linda Lovelace.

Reply to
Admin

You wouldn't be very popular in West Hollywood.

Reply to
Admin