electric window repair

The electric rear passenger window of my 2000 Hyundai Elantra is in the "open" position & I need to be able to close it. Winter is approaching & I live in Wisconsin!!! A friend had her window repaired for the same thing at a dealer & it cost $400.00!!!!. I have been unable to find out how to take the interior door panel off. I am willing to have the window closed permanently if that is the only solution. Before I resort to "Super Glue" I hope some one can offer some advice for self repair.

Reply to
mizliz96

Go to this site:

It's the Hyundai website with the factory manuals. Some times they are confusing but in general they are pretty good, also free.

You have to register and get an account with user id adn password. no big deal. Godo luck

Reply to
Diarmud387

There should be a few screws to remove from the trim panel (and possibly the door handle. Then you should be able to pull out on the bottom of the panel and lift upward to separate from the sill. If the door handle is attached to the panel, you'll need to rotate the panel and slip it through the hole.

Typically, the problem is that the regulator is broken and the cable came off. You should be able to purchase a new regulator for under $100. If you need to pay for installation, I'd expect that to be $100 to $200.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I don't know how to get the panel off, but once you do, the window can probably be propped in the up position. I had a similar problem on two Buicks. I removed the panel and then with the proper sized wood stick, jammed it in the open position. Start a little too long and trim until you have a snug fit. Disconnect the power to the lift so you don't accidentally activate something. I did three rear doors in the past nine months that way.

I'm certainly not an expert, but from what I've seen, many of these window systems,(on many brands) are cheaply made and could be made much more durable for about 50¢ for heavier material on the cable system.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
mayoctmommy

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree...... the typical problem is that cable gets slack or slightly twisted in the windings, slips off the spool and jams up in the spool cover which is not pressed in place tightly enough.

Ask me how I know.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

Either way, most power window mechanisms are pretty crappy. Between my other two (GM) cars, three windows are held in place with a wood stick under the glass. They are all rear windows so I don't care if they ever open. I do, though, care that they stay closed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski