Fair Price for a 2005 4dr Elantra GLS Sedan

I was quoted a price of $10,999. The findings from my research so far indicates that it is actually a good price. Am I correctly? I really hope to get some insights from current Elantra owners. Thanks.

Reply to
ManWorld42

I was quoted US$12,995. When, AND ONLY WHEN, I got to the dealership did the price get jacked up. The above quote included ALL POSSIBLE rebates, I thought it only applied to the manufacturer's and online rebates The following are the rebates that were applied to the quote. Remember that these need to be added to the quote to get the price I WOULD have paid. :-) US$750 ACTIVE Duty military discount. US$ Loyalty discount (don't recall what the amount was) US$300 On-Line discount US$1250 manufacturer's (IIRC) discount.

Didn't qualify for the military or loyalty discounts. In the end paid around US$14,500.

If you qualify for all that Hyundai offers, the price you received is good. If you don't you'll end up paying more, but the price is still not that bad. I considered a 2005 Ford Focus. Funny thing is, I would have paid more for the Focus with the same options that I have on the Hyundai US$2000-US$3000 more.

RTFP

Reply to
Andy S

You can't be serious. Unless you have all the options you have been ripped off BAD. I just bought my 2005 Elantra 4dr Sedan GLS 8 hours or so ago, and I paid $10,779. The saleman even threw in the floor mats for free. I didn't even have to bargain with him. He actually drop the price by $220 without me even asking him. (The only rebate I qualified for was the $1750 that they are giving to everyone.) It was the simplest car buying experience possible. I took the first price he quoted after I got there. I suppose I could have talked the price down a little, but I thought the price was more than fair given the research I did on

I actually paid about $1000 below TMV (True Market Value.) Maybe he was cowed by my computer printouts that I brought with me. Maybe he knew that I really wanted ABS and he didn't have it in stock. Maybe I just got lucky. (Considering the run of bad luck I had in the last few years, it was about time for a change. (^_^; )

I didn't get the extended warranty since it costed about 10% of the car and it was not the one offered by manufacturer. I just didn't want to interprete all the fine prints on the fly.

Anyway I am now officially a proud Hyundai owner. Let's hope I can use the car for 5 years before changing it.

Reply to
ManWorld42

If your willing to CALL a bunch of dealerships with a hard price quote you'll Get a better price.

2005 EGT's Are going for 13200 - 13999 here in NYC Thats a out the door Tax Title and tags included price. My niece bought one last month EGT sedan.... In the showroom her husband was getting Quotes of 15000-16500 out the door. A few phone calls/Web requests later the same dealers were down 2K on their quotes. Heck my Blue EGT '04 cost me $600 more than the Red EGT '05 bought in feb. same options...more homework this time. It seems there is a dfferent price for walk-ins VS. Internet savy customers.
Reply to
Andrew Cripps

Below is part of the original email I received after an on-line quote request.

According to the sales guy at the dealer we went through, the option package I was looking for was not to be found with-in 100 miles of Henrietta, NY where the dealer I went through is located..

I decided on Option package 4 (ABS and TCS), and had to contact a dealer in Vestal, NY as there wasn't one on the lot in Henrietta, NY. The sales guy said that it was a HOT package.

They, Hyundai, tossed in floor mats and mud guards. Yeah, the price is WAY above what we wanted to spend. Shoulda taken in the edmunds.com TMV print out. Dummy me.

/original quote

Inquiry date: 4/20/2005 6:07:43 PM Purchase time frame: 0-3 Months Model: Elantra 2.0L 4-cylinder 4-Speed Automatic Color: Moonlit Blue Year: 2005 Trim: GLS 5-Door Option package: Package 6 Preferred method of contact: Email Address

Our current price is: 12,500

Dealer's notes: This qoute is good till 04/30/05,also all rebates applied

/original quote

Reply to
Andy S

Yeah it sounds like the dealer is a sleaze bag. He was doing the same old bs to lure you in, waste your time and wear you down. I was lucky that I was spared that in my experience.

Well, since you have the works, $14K is not bad. $12,500 for 5dr GLS with option package 6 sounds too good to be true. Well, you know what they say about something that sounds too good to be true. But, you still got a decent price. All the goodies that you got costs about $3 more. So if you take my price of $11k and add $3k, then you come up with $14k. Well, I still think you dealer is a sleaze bag.

Isn't it amazing that options can bump the price of a car up by almost

30%?
Reply to
ManWorld42

It was interesting. When my dealer saw my sheets of computer printouts, I sensed from his body language that he was tempted to ask to see them. He muttered something like, "So you did your homework." He was the guy who replied to my request for a quote through Edmunds.com. I suppose he dealt with internet users before.

This time it took me days of research before buying. Next time it will be much less. The procedure is:

  1. Find out the MSRP
  2. Find out the invoice price
  3. Find out the TMV from Edmunds.
  4. Get some feedback from this or similar newsgroup. Can you say "Google"?

Make a decision on the price I am willing to pay based on the findings. The decision can probably be done in minutes.

Reply to
ManWorld42