Routine Winter Service for 2013 Elantra GLS

I have a 2013 Elantra GLS (Special Edition), with only 10K miles on the odometer. It's currently running like a clock and I have no complaints. I'm retired so it doesn't get too many highway runs and most of the time, I'm driving in Toronto.

I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership for an oil change and was wondering if there were any special maintenance services I SHOULD get before winter other than the usual ones. I don't use winter tires as the city streets are kept plowed and I don't venture out of town, so I'm not afraid of the snow.

Although I go to a fine dealership for service, I am always afraid of being upsold, hence my request for advice.

Many thanks in advance. Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Given the age and miles, nothing really has to be done. It should be up to date with proper coolant. Wiper blades should still be good, but if they streak, replace them. Be sure you have a winter grade washer fluid in place. I like the yellow stuff over the cheap blue. It does a better job and does not freeze like the bue does once the alcohol flashes off.

If I bought every service the dealer suggested over the manual, I'd be spending a LOT of money for nothing in return.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just come to Florida, what you waiting for ??? Toronto ... in winter ...

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia

One thing I forgot to mention. At the first low temperatures, check tire pressure. It is common to have one cold night and the TPMS lights up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Many thanks for your replies, Ed. My car doesn't have a TPMS feature. It has the light on the dash which very briefly illuminates when I start the car, but not the actual measurement device. I'm sure you know that American vehicles of any make and those shipped to other countries are different in some ways. Cars shipped to the US sometimes have more trim and a couple of extra features we don't get in Canada and we pay about 15% more for the car. Doesn't seem fair but the auto companies don't sell as many brand new cars here as they do down there and are not fighting for the buyer's buck although there is a moderate competition.

Lately, Toronto has had quite an influx of affluent Asians from China, and the number of Benz, BMW's, Acuras and Lexus have increased dramatically. I might add the number of Hyundai's has also increased and I see Elantras and Sonatas everywhere. Makes it hard to feel special but I've past that stage of life anyway : )

I'm not looking forward to this winter if it is going to be anything like last year, but I'm Canadian and have ice water in my veins....along with about 15 different medications : )

Thanks for your help...feels good to know I have someone to ask about my car.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

It *is* TPMS feature!

You are good and your car is good - there is nothing special that needs to be done for your Toronto winter. For yourself, you might consider antidepressant, given Toronto winters :-)

DK

Reply to
DK