Got my new Sonata today

Had a small problem with my 07 Sonata so I took it to the dealer to get checked out. It was the throttle position sensor (TPS), something that has happened with some frequency according to the service manager. If was acting up at 66,000 miles, out of warranty. Codes were 2135, 1295

The dealer has been trying to get a hold of me for some time so I figured I at least give the salesman a shot at making me happy. He did. Given the miles, I was facing 4 new tires, brakes, filters, coolant replacement, and probably some other normal maintenance. Rather than invest $1500+ over the next few months, that bought me a 2010 Sonata Limited with everything new and a new warranty.

The new model has evolved a bit in three years. The heated seats now have a high and low setting, a third headrest (that will never be used) in the back seat better looking instrument cluster dual climate controls XM radio two settings on the trip odometer better settings on the auto door locks station seek button on the steering wheel radio controls

This car also had the optional Bluetooth too and that will be handy now that many states (including mine) require hands free now. The 07 came with Michelin tires, this has Hankook. No experience with that brand but seem smooth enough. Crappy weather tomorrow so I may find out more.

This is my first experience with XM radio too. My wife put on holiday music and is hooked on it over commercial radio.

The last one did well by me so I hope this one does too. It has been the best car I've ever owned as far as repairs go.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Are you serious? You traded a 2007 with 66K for a new 2010 for only $1500 difference? I need to visit my Hyundai dealer!!

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Closer to $2000 as my payments are a few bucks more. Other factors helped. I went from 1.9% to 0% financing, plus the $500 loyalty rebate. Negotiations took about two hours though. They started considerably higher, but they called me, I didn't call them. Want to move some iron? Deal or I walk. The sticker on this car was also about $2k more than the old one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So basically you got a new sonata for 2k plus your 3 year old sonata? Yea right..Did santa tell you to say that..

Reply to
in2dadark

So basically you got a new sonata for 2k plus your 3 year old sonata? Yea right..Did santa tell you to say that..

Yes, that is correct. Herb Chambers seems motivated to move some iron right now and so is Hyundai. I really don't give a crap if you believe me or not. FWIW, the sticker on the new one is higher by about $2000 too since it has bluetooth along with the usual inflation over the years. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If your payments went up and you went back to payment zero and you had already made 33 payments on the 07, you are down more than 2k.. I think everyone who owned a 3 yo sonata would trade up without hesitating if what you said was true. Makes so sense from a business standpoint. When you drove off the lot back in 07 you were down more than 2k..

Reply to
in2dadark

If your payments went up and you went back to payment zero and you had already made 33 payments on the 07, you are down more than 2k.. I think everyone who owned a 3 yo sonata would trade up without hesitating if what you said was true. Makes so sense from a business standpoint. When you drove off the lot back in 07 you were down more than 2k..

***************************************************** Payments went up $20 a month and yes, I'm starting from 0 again. That is $1200. I gave them $500 cash.

Just as important, I also side stepped a lot of maintenance that was coming up in the next few months if I kept the old car. 4 Tires, new brakes, new air and cabin filters, coolant change.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're saying $2k in drive-off costs, right?

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

.

What I think he's saying is they charged him 2k for the new car and made up the rest with his trade. I understand the maintanance avoidance part. But I've never heard of anyone trading in ANY kind of

3 yo car ( let alone a hyundai with all those miles) and only paying 2k more for a new one. As I said, when he drove off the lot 3 years or more ago, he was down more than 2k...If he avoided 1500 in repairs, the dealer has to pay out at least 500 in labor, parts and overhead to do them anyway
Reply to
in2dadark
3 yo car ( let alone a hyundai with all those miles) and only paying 2k more for a new one. As I said, when he drove off the lot 3 years or more ago, he was down more than 2k...If he avoided 1500 in repairs, the dealer has to pay out at least 500 in labor, parts and overhead to do them anyway

************************************************ What they gave me for trade is roughly the value of the car which is roughly the balance of the original loan. You can call it a wash that I walked away from.

I don't know (or care) if the dealer will do any repairs or not. Visibly, the tires are above the wear indicators, but not for long. Same with the brakes. They can go another few thousand, the drums are still smooth too. Given the miles, it may go to auction anyway. The paint has one minor spot on the bumper, about 1/8" wide by 1" long. Touched up properly, you'd never see it. Mats show no wear but need cleaning.

As I said, the dealer is very motivated to move cars right now. There was an online Yahoo article last week that from now to the end of the year are the best deals.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't forget that you get an extra tax offset which only happens in

2009. See
Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

Thanks for the link. The dealer mentioned it, but I was not aware of it before that. I also bought a new boiler and will get a tax credit for that and the state already gave me a $500 rebate (and a 1099 form) Your tax dollars at work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski