Hyundai Manuals and Timing Belt Change

Can anyone recommend a good manual and or comment on if the advertized manuals on CD are any good?

The $800 tag for a timing belt change is hard on the pocket book and with

157,000 km on the odo I am coming up to my second change. I am thinking about tackling the job myself for help I may have my Dad a retired auto mechanic. Can I do the job myself with a little help?
Reply to
clemkonan

Some of the timing belts are easier to change than others. What year, model, and engine do you have?

You can find a wealth of service information (for free) at

You simply need to register for an account.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If you haven't done a few of them before, I would recommend that you not do it. A mistake will cost you (way) more that you save. My 92(93?) Elantra was screwed up twice by a certified (ASAE?) mechanic. New head. Shop around, that quote is way high. bill

Reply to
BillyGoat

Yes. A timing belt is not a difficult job. Go ahead and replace idlers, etc. that are in there also while you have it apart. As for the $800 CD - don't waste your money. Check out the Hyundai web site and the manuals that are on the site for free. If that doesn't float your boat, spend $25 for a one year subscription to All Data.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've found this site very unreliable with frequent hangs. Maybe it just doesn't like Netscape, but I hate IE. I may try it to see if that is the problem.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Unfortunately, it does like IE much better. I use Mozilla myself - except when I go to the Hyundai site.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I suspected as much. I'm trying IE right now.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

When you go to the site, it tells you that it only works with IE. Someone should slap the idiot who designed it, for that and other reasons. I hate IE as much as anyone, but the Hyundai site is quite reliable when you use it.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

In case you haven't seen it, there's an extension for Firefox called "IEView". If you go to a page that only works in IE or doesn't work well in Firefox, right click anywhere on the page and select "View this page in IE". It will open IE in a separate window. Very handy!

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Outstanding Brian! I didn't know about that.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, I relented and fired up IE last night and the site worked a lot better. I agree about the site designer.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Since Netscape 7.2 is Mozilla based, will this extension work also with Netscape 7.2?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I couldn't say for sure, but I doubt it. As a former Netscape user, I don't see any point in using it any longer now the Firefox and Thunderbird (email) are available. I strongly suggest downloading and installing them.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I thought about doing the same, but I like having full capability (emial, browser, news reader and calendar) all in the same, easy to use package.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting