1994 Thunderbird "grinding" noise

I have a 1994 Ford Thunderbird LX. I recently replaced the Mass air flow sensor due to my old one failing. now when i am going up a hill, sometimes (not all the time) my tachometer stays around 1000-1100 ... and i here this grinding noise from the engine.... i push the gas pedal down about an inch and the sound goes away and the rpms go up. sometimes it even does this on a straight away.

does anybody have any ideas of what it could be? ... anyone ever have this problem?

Thanks,

Justin

Reply to
Justin

erhmason

Depends on what the sound is. Is it a grinding sound, or is it more of a humming noise (IOW, is the frequency high or low)? If it's a humming sound, like that you hear from an electric pump, then it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Had it happen on a 98 Explorer. Only happened at idle or just off idle, and the noise was very intermittent at first. Can you better describe the sound (when it does it, what makes it always do it, when does it stop) as detailed as you can.

Reply to
John Alt

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Justin

yea, its a grinding noise. it comes from the passenger side of the engine. it stops when i push the accelerator down.

Reply to
Justin

does the 3.8L V6 have a vacuum modulator on the transmission? I was talking to someone and they said that if it did, it could be that.

Reply to
Justin

Reply to
Thomas Moats

As others have stated, might be time to look at the tranny. I'll take a WAG at it and say torque convertor, which means you should get it fixed sooner than later before it slags the transmission.

Reply to
John Alt

Reply to
Justin

i also looked up the TSB's on the vechile, apparently there were alot of issues with the torque converters on 94 t-birds..... though ford probably wont do anything about it.

Reply to
Justin

Reply to
Thomas Moats

just wanted to thank everyone for there help, i appreciaite it.

-Justin

Reply to
Justin