Question about Check Engine light

My wife's Elantra had the Check Engine light on for several days. Three days ago, at my suggestion, she removed and retightened the gas cap and the Check Engine light went out this afternoon. Can the code still be retrieved by the dealer even though the light no longer is on?

Thanks,

Ghislain

Reply to
Ghislain

What's the point? It seems that you found the problem, which is a pretty common one.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
John

I obviously don't want to fix it if it ain't broken. I may not have formulated my question properly, but all I wanted to know was "Does a 2002 Hyundai Elantra retain the last error code, even if the Check Engine light went out on its own".

"John" wrote

Reply to
Ghislain

Yes, for a period of time. Eventually, it'll delete that, too, but it'll take much longer than killing the lamp.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks,

Ghislain

"hyundaitech" wrote snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Ghislain

The check engine light came back on today and the issue apparently is the right front wheel speed sensor. A quick seach on the net seems to indicate that this is a fairly common issue with these cars. How difficult is that sensor to replace? Special tools needed?

Thanks.

"hyundaitech" wrote snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Ghislain

There's certainly nothing complicated about replacing the sensor, but sometimes they're quite difficult to work with. Often, the sensor will seize in the steering knuckle and won't come out. Otherwise, it's a simple matter of removing the wheel and fender liner and unbolting/unclipping the wire and sensor, and disconnecting it.

Beware, though, a DTC indicating a problem with the wheel speed sensor signal doesn't necessarily mean the sensor itself is the culprit. The tone wheel on the axle could be cracked or damaged. Or the wiring could be cut or chewed. I've seen each of these more frequently than wheel speed sensor failures.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I'll simply let the dealer fix it.