Rattle Noise 2006 Sonata 4 Cyl.

A rattling sound from the dash has started and it happens at all speeds. I thought it was coming from the radio area, but I really can't say for sure. Nothing seems to bee loose. Anyone else have this problem and if so, was there a fix? It is under warranty so I will take it into the dealer. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bop

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Same problem here, on my 6 cyl 2006 Sonata. I think it is coming from the passenger's air bag. It is very intermittent, so can't show this to my dealer. Waiting for it to be mor persistent. Someone on this group had this issue, and fixed it with ... a stick and electrical tape!! or something of that kind. Wait for his answer, or search this group on google for "07 sonata dash creek noise"

Hope this will be helpful.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

I'm having it too... in addition to my completely broken door lock system. :(

-B

Reply to
Blair

That was me Shaman. I was told by Hyundai that the problem is incorrectly installed windshields. They come from the manufacturer with clips and Hyundai is supposed to remove the clips before installing the glass. I was told by my service department that there is a TSB for 2006 Sonata's to replace the windshield. It wasn't supposed to affect 2007s but obviously it does. The regional Hyundai rep told my dealership to replace my windshield as he felt confident it will resolve my problem.

For now, I am leaving things well alone as the paint stick wrapped in electrical tape has done the trick. Hyundai agreed to wait until next summer to replace the windshield.

I hope this helps my friend!

Reply to
cableguy3

"cableguy3" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Thanks for your reply.

Went on this site --->

if all the TSB's for the 2006 Sonata are listed there, but I did'nt find anything on the windshield issue... Do you have a TSB date / number? Now that we know where the rattle comes from, did you experienced leakage inside the car, where the windshield meets the dash board? Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

I haven't seen any technical service bulletins, but incorrectly installed windshield could be the cause. I worked on one of these recently, and just before I was ready to yank the dash out, the little light bulb in my head went off and I removed the outside windshield cowling, and presto, the noise went away.

What I eventually found was that one of the tabs on the cowling was pinched between the windshield and the body, causing a light popping noise when driving over bumps. I cut off the one tab in question and trimmed the others close by to be sure they wouldn't get pinched, either. Upon reassembly, there was no more problem.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Interesting. After the colder weather began, my 06 Sonata V6 windshield or dash has started making a similar noise. It sounds like a pop just as you describe, and only over bumps.

the rearview mirror -like maybe a bad windshield glue job- but that may just be the angle of the sound.

It's hard to drive and look for the sound at the same time and I have not yet had the courage to let anyone else drive the car so I can look for the source.

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
PMDR

The rattle mystery is solved and I feel like a jerk. A tech drove along with my wife and he actually heard the sound during the drive! He poked and prodded around the dash but the noise still continued. He got out of the car, and found a twig stuck in a drainage hole near the passenger side wind shield wiper! I That was making the noise. I had checked under the hood for leaves, but missed looking on the outside. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
bop