Replacing spark plugs and fuel filter in 2003 Elantra

I've been experiencing some hesitation and missing on acceleration for a while. I knew the car was overdue for plugs so after discovering how easy it is to change them in the Elantra I picked up a set of NGK copper. I pulled the old plugs and discovered they had burned to the extent that the gap was at least 2X the spec. That pretty much explained the problem. Since putting in the new plugs it feels like the car has come out of retirement .

Regarding the fuel filter, I know it's inside the gas tank and I'm reluctant to take it on. Would there be any obvious issues if the filter was needing to be replaced? Odometer is about 108k. Fortunately I have a mechanic friend that I trust would actually do it properly if necessary. TIA

Reply to
Victek

If your car was missing, I would IMMEDIATELY change the timing belt. And be feeling blessed that it didn't break on the stress that missing puts on it.

As for the fuel filter, it is essentially non-serviceable. I wouldn't worry about it. But DO worry about the timing belt.

Oh, and if you only put copper plugs in your car, don't go more than 30,000 until your next change. And when you do change them out again, use some kind of platinum (or irridium) plug.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt