Sticking Ignition Cylinder and/or Key

I am having a problem with my 07 Elantra. The key will sometimes stick when I am turning the car off. No problems when I start the car, but when I turn the key to OFF and pull it out, it feels as if something is dragging along the key, and the key kind of "snaps" out rather than slides out smoothly. Considering that the car is less than 2 years old, this is very aggravating. I do not keep anything on the fob except the single key itself, so the weight can't be an issue. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Fantine

John

when this happens, have you tried moving the steering wheel a few degrees either side as you pull the key out? Could be a problem with the steering column lock.

Regards, Wayne Moses,

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited
Reply to
Wayne Moses

Reply to
Fantine

Sounds like a good time to bring it into the dealer, and good luck with the problem happening while it is there.

Regards, Wayne Moses,

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited
Reply to
Wayne Moses

If I read this correctly, the key turns normally back to the off position, so not pushing it in won't be the issue. More likely, it sounds like the tumblers are hanging up on the key. Also have a good look at the key to be sure it's not twisted or bent.

If you have some WD-40 handy, put the straw on the nozzle and spray a little into the lock cylinder. Then work the key in and out and on and off a few times. If this fixes it, problem solved! If not, take it in for service.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I certainly don't want to contradict any advise from HyundaiTech, but I have always been told to use graphite for lock lubricant. The story is that a other lubricants will attract dust and dirt. I know that WD-40 is considered to be more of a solvent than a lubricant, so would the same issue maybe not apply in this case? But then, most people will have WD-40 handy when they don't graphite.

Reply to
Partner

While it's true that the graphite won't attract dust/dirt and the others will, assembled locks have grease in them, so it's a moot point.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Personally I prefer graphite. Works better in cold climate also.

Regards, Wayne Moses,

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited
Reply to
Wayne Moses

Thanks, h-tech. I'll give your suggestion a try and then take it in to the dealer, as necessary.

Reply to
Fantine