What is the highest mileage youve heard/experienced for a Hyundai ?

My friend has an Excel with 181,000 miles on it . Doesnt burn any oil between changes, and still has the original clutch in it. Engine hasnt had any major work done on it ; not even a valve job. He didnt get the Timing Belt changed on it till 120,000 miles ! He says he drives it hard but changes oil every 4,000 miles with filter.

Whats the highest miles youve heard for a Hyundai ?

Reply to
IlBeBauck

My 1996 Elantra is 125K Miles :)))

Reply to
Julien BH

My 2000 Accent has 120K on it and my dealer tells me she sees Accents with upwards of 165K miles on a regular basis.

Tom in AZ

Reply to
PMP4Hire

PMP4Hire wrote in news:e4892dc4-766c-46dc-902e- snipped-for-privacy@w1g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

I recently traded my 01 elantra with 140k miles on it.

Ben

Reply to
Richard Dreyfuss

I've got an '02 Accent with 176,000 miles on the clock. I've replaced the timing belt and fuel filter at 100k, the front drive axles at 130k, and the transmission at 170k.

I commute 150 miles to work 5 days a week, primarily highway miles.

I feel the vehicle has required more repair than is average.

I intend to replace the axles again real soon as one of them is beginning to knock during left turns and there is a shake at 25 miles per hour during acceleration in second gear, that I feel is related.

Reply to
Mike

If that is all you've done, it sound as though it may be below average for the miles.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My previous commute car was a 1995 Ford Contour. I drove it 280,000 miles with the OEM transmission and replaced the drive axles only once at about 150,000 miles.

Reply to
Mike

Most cars today will go 150,000 to 200,000 with the same engine, transmission, and drivetrain. Alternators, water pumps, radiators, ignition modules, starters, and the like often go in less time and are far more common maintenance items. Sounds like you are comparing two well above average cars to each others rather than the real life scenario that repairs shops see every day. Timing belt, fuel filters, brake pads are all normal wear items. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My wife's '97 Elantra wagon just turned over 200,000 miles. Still runs and drives great. We put a rebuilt automatic transmission in it at 170,000, but that's been the only really major repair.

After nine years, when she gets in, she still says "I love this car."

We'll probably replace it in the next six months or so, either with a Tucson or the new Elantra Touring.

Reply to
Richard Kershenbaum

1997 Tiburon, 281,760 miles
Reply to
DC

REPLY; Astounding !!! Has it ever had a valve job or any other major engine work ?

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Replaced the clutch at 230k, and then, it really wasn't the disk, it was the throwout bearing. The disk showed very little wear. Had to replace the alternator at about 170k. Other than those things, just normal maintenance.

Reply to
DC

You may have noticed in another post that I just retired a 1990 Sonata with over 414,000 miles on it. Still out in the driveway, but I turned in the tags to the Maryland MVA a few days ago.

At that age and miles, I was always impressed by the long list of things that I never had to mess with. I've had other cars that ate wheel bearings, suffered electrical problems with wiring and motors (wiper, heater fan), and just sort of turn to rubbish before your eyes (falling headliners, breaking windows regulators and door handles). This one held up really well. Only in the last year or two did it get a crack in the dashpad and a tear in the seat. Did have to respray some panels, but in that era a lot of manufacturers had problems with paint.

Yes, I did have tranny issues. But the parts were dirt cheap and they are so simple to work on and easy to R&R that it wasn't a deal breaker.

Reply to
c.how2bserious