Wheel nuts sheared off

I fitted mazda 123 wheels to my hyundai excel 1994 5 dr hatch. The stud pattern seemed to be exact and the car has probably done 4000kms. No problems, perfect balance until last night my wife turned the corner at the end of our street and 3 wheel studs sheared of with a clean break( no corrosion ). I've wheel braced enough tyres on in my time so I don't overtighten.

Maybe the rim wasn't fitting flush against the hub.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Norman Webb

How do the center holes in the wheels fit the hubs? If they're too small, wheels won't contact the hub. If they're too large, the studs must bear all the weight of the car and acceleration and braking stresses.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody

Since found out that the hyundai rims have a depression for the bolts attaching the brake disks whereas the mazda rims don't.

Traps for young players eh!

Reply to
Norman Webb