Series 3 Wheel options

Hi, Is it possible to fit Disco wheels to My Series 3? Do I need any modifications?

David

Reply to
DaveJ

Steel wheels yes. Alloys no.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

most landrovers have same wheel stud pattern and wheel diameter at 16" , its only the series 2 that may have smaller diameter studs but has same stud pattern all the same , will still take all the usual landrover derived rims .

series 3 i think has the larger wheelstuds .anyway .

you can fit all the steel rims as used by landrover/ rangerover /discovery and keep youre std wheelnuts .

only time you need to change the wheelnuts will be if you put on range rover or discovery aluminium i rims .

if you use discovery rims then youll need relevent tyre size to fit , but youll be ok with 205x16 or 235/75x16 or 7.50x16 .

if youre wanting ground clearance then rangerover "rostyle" steel rims are good [or discoverysteel rims] and will take 7.50x16 tyres which gives 31 1/2" diameter as opposed to 28 1/2" on the 205x16 and 235/75x16 .

i dont have series 3 but do have a 90 and that reads correct on speedo with

7.50x16 tyres and less by about 4mph with 205x16 .

hope this helps

Reply to
M0bcg

Silly question - but as a steel wheel man, why would alloys not fit?

Cheers in advance.

Reply to
pl.white

Hi David, running Disco steel wheels on my S3 SWB with Goodrich A/T 235.

If you want to see picture of wheels on SWB , I can send you a photo of the setup. Send me an email and I can send it to you or put it up on a website.

You will however have to fit extension studs as the original ones aren't long enough, and you can fail a MOT as a result. You can see these at

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

PS Please note that I have a commercial >Hi,

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

I'll echo that, although the Disco rims (with tyres) from my Disco looked pretty pathetic on the S3. Thanks though to Tim, for helping to change all 4 wheels in less than 10 minutes, and especially for putting the jack back in the shed... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

(snip)

All Landrovers have the same stud pattern except late Rangerovers and Discovery 2. The change to metric wheel studs was some time during Series 3 production, but the wheels are completely interchangeable. Some Rangerover and Discovery wheels I believe have problems fitting Series Landrovers because the hub protrudes further. In addition to this problem with most but perhaps not all alloy wheels, many alloy wheels designed for Disco/RR will not fit hubs with drum brakes. A further concern could be the load carrying ability of Disco wheel, especially on a 109. JD

Reply to
JD

Bloody big hubs...some alloys will fit...the aftermarket ones with the bloody great hole in the middle for the ends of the half shafts / fwh's

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've had no problems with the MOT ot nuts, whilst a couple of the studs aren't quite flush with the end of the nut by about half of a turn I've done

2 MOTs and over 1000 miles with no issues and certainly no slackness.

You can also should you desire use the 35mm camera film cases to make dust caps should you wish. Once shortened these just slide on and can also appear to be a security measure at first glance.

I was cheeky and asked at the local Boots photo processing if they had any spares and they gave me 20 + (spares incase I c*ck up the cutting) . I've yet to shorten them, it's on the list of things for one day.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

If it goes horribly wrong I can get you approx 3000 ones on a daily basis from a lab we do barcoding for. Only green ones though...

An interesting tip though. With a suitable yellow arrow painted on they would also give a warning of something coming loose, which would be handy for the 101. It seems to be in the habit of loosening the odd wheelnut from time to time.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Now thats a dammed good idea... Any one in the sign writing trade able to supply that yellow stick on stuff as we could actually make use of the off cuts.

Anyone?????

Would be a good freebie at shows for safety if nothing else and easy to knock up in an matter of minutes for a set.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Summat like this?

Works best with a black canister (which is a bugger, 'cos the Fuji ones are all clear).

I didn't do a good job of cutting the tub in half, but with a neater cut it would be easy to run a light silicon bead around the back edge to get it watertight.

The clear Fuji canisters are a good tight fit. This black one is a bit sloppy - a dab of sealant on a couple of the nut faces would hold it happily.

I've used the end with the lid on, rather than the flat bottom, just because I think it looks a bit more interesting!

Now here's the good bit (Martyn, listen up...)

There's plenty of room for a button cell and inertia switch in there, plus a small LED in the cap....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

May I suggest using Tipex? Paint a small line with Tipex, you can see if it misaligns. It's also easy to clean off, but won't generally just 'wear' off.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Pardon my ingnorance, but could you just clarify: when you say Disco 2, do you mean the 300 or the one that came after that? (I suspect the latter)

So you're saying that Disco 2 wheels won't fit a Disco 300, and vice versa?

Davey

Reply to
Davey

I used wheel nut covers from a DAF 45, slightly modified, and line up the word DAF moulded into the end Not quite as obvious but less "in your face" than Tipex

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Series 2 Disco (the one after the 300 series), P38 Range Rover and current Range Rover have a tighter stud pattern than all the other Land Rovers to accommodate larger brake discs.

Freelander is different again I think.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Ignore me... I didn't read through the thread properly... :-)

I'd thought Tim had suggested a marking strategy to immediately recognise if a hut had become loose. That's why I mentioned Tipex.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

That is what I suggested. At least I think it was ;-)

The original idea from Lee was to keep crap out of your nuts (wiping from front to back works for me).

I think my marker is a bit more obvious than tippex, but definitely a lot more faff. Trouble is if you dab sealant at the back to keep water out then it won't rotate with the nut, so you can use it for one purpose or the other really.

Got a new battery (basic lead acid too cheap to walk past) in the truck today so we are back in action! Small excursion planned for tomorrow (to me Mam's for tea).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Why not just go out and get the commercial yellow markers. They are available in 24 and 27mm versions from most truck component suppliers.

Alex

Reply to
Alex