Whole car shakes when in drive at idle speed.

In a previous message I stated that the car vibrated but it is more little a shaking and it seem like the engine want to stall when I shift to drive or turn on the AC compressor.

Reply to
Alfonso

What is the engine rpm during this shaking?

Reply to
hyundaitech

The engine normally idles between 800 and 1000 when I put in in drive it falls to 6oo to 800. Just the AC also makes the engine run a little rough.

Reply to
Alfonso

The idle speed sounds about normal for an engine at operating temperature. In fact, 800 - 1000 in park/neutral sounds a little high.

So, I don't think this is an idle speed issue. That doesn't mean the engine isn't running poorly, just that the idle actuator is able to compensate if it is.

Reply to
hyundaitech

In fact, 800 - 1000 in park/neutral sounds a little high.

isn't running poorly, just that the idle actuator is able to compensate if it is.

What should I try to be able to solve this problem.....Could it be a faulty spark plug, a faulty fuel injector, a defective head gasket. Could it be the motor mounts. Local mechanic found no error codes on computer, but his device looks a little beat up. I've been using the car with an engine check light on for the last three years.

Reply to
Alfonso

The problem is that it could be any of those things. If you're unable to d etermine on your own-- I don't expect you can; most laypeople cannot-- the difference between the engine itself running rougher than normal and just e xcessive vibration transmission, then you'll want to take it to a mechanic who can do that. There are too many possibilities to take a guess.

I'd also be particularly interested in the check engine lamp. If it's on, there should be a code in either the engine or transmission control module. Depending on the situation, it may provide a clue as to your vibration pr oblem.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Three years ago I has the ECU checked and the code was something about the odometer, this worked fine, so I disregarded the engine check lite. I doubt that my problem is the transmission because with the transmission in park, the same shaking occurs when I switch on the AC, only to a lesser degree.

Reply to
Alfonso

If the lamp has been on for three years, there's little reason to expect that there isn't a new problem now. If the lamp is on, there are codes present. I have no idea why your mechanic couldn't retrieve them.

Reply to
hyundaitech