Why would my Sonata "vibrate" when shifting from Neutral to Drive

For at least the past year or two, my 02 Sonata vibrates when in Drive (D). It's smooth as silk in Neutral (N) or Park (P). I can only assume it's the trans. It seems to be more prominent when it gets cold. However, after driving a few miles, it seems to lessen as if the trans or something has "warmed up" a bit. Another odd thing it does when it's cold (getting in the 50s or less) is going from 1st to 2nd gear. I notice that the revs will go up to around 2500 and it will engage

2nd gear but with a slight thunk as if 2nd gear was stuck for a brief moment but once it is engaged, it works fine afterwards. I don't think it's related to the vibration but it could be a symptom. Anyone had this issue? I'm pretty religious about changing trans fluid and the last time I did was last year (August) about 9,000 miles ago so it's not quite yet due for another trans fluid change.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

I don't know whether you have a four cylinder or V6, but the four pretty much vibrated anytime it was in drive at idle.

As for the transmission, there are several notes/questions:

  1. There's a technical service bulletin to reprogram the TCM for a 2-->3 shift flare. Just wanted to make sure you noted the correct shift.
  2. This could be indicative of a more serious transmission problem.
  3. What type of fluid was > For at least the past year or two, my 02 Sonata vibrates when in Drive >
Reply to
hyundaitech

What do you mean by "not quite due" for fluid change? They should go many more miles than that.

It does sound like the potential for transmission problems though. Automatics are fairly complex with valves and such, beyond my knowledge.

I've owned cars for a little over 50 years now, most with automatic transmissions. Only one time did I ever change transmission fluid. Only on one car did the transmission go bad.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

vibrated anytime it was in drive at idle.

shift flare. Just wanted to make sure you noted the correct shift.

This brings up a question that's been on my mind for a while. My

2000 Sonata requires a sort-of special fluid that, at the time, was shared with Nissan. I've forgotten the name of the stuff.

From my experience with ATF, I've thought that, as time goes on, transmission tolerances have become steadily finer, and this has called for a fluid with more tightly-controlled refinement, and possibly, a thinner formulation. My Ford Aerostar was touchy about fluid grade and quality, too.

But my question is this: let's say someone put a more conventional fluid into my/a 2000 Sonata by mistake. I figure that the transmission will not behave as smoothly as it will with the right stuff. But will the wrong stuff actually damage the transmission?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

All Hyundai transmissions between 2001 or so and 2006 specify SPIII fluid, = a fluid at least partially based on Mitsubishi specification and used in Ch= rysler, Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi vehicles.

Reply to
hyundaitech

HT,

Thanks for the reply. I believe the last time I went in for a trans flush it was at a Hyundai dealership so I believe they put in ATF-III. I only ever do trans service at the dealer. I noted many times to the same dealership that I had harsh shifts from 1-2 and *sometimes* 2-3 but mainly 1-2. They weren't able to reproduce the issue nor did they see any stored codes. I know for sure they re-flashed / re-programmed the TCM per the TSB last time. It seemed better after the trans service and the reprogramming but now it's 1 year later and getting cold again and the issue still seems there. Sticky / harsh shift from

1-2 the *first* time. After one 1-2 shift cycle, it seems fine. I'll have to double check the mileage I was at when I had trans service last time but I am confident it's been less than 12k. Do another trans fluid servicing?

With respect to "serious transmission problem", what are we talking about? 139k seems young to me but I've always been good to my car and not beat up on the trans and changed the fluid at required intervals.

Thanks much for replying.

vibrated anytime it was in drive at idle.

flare. Just wanted to make sure you noted the correct shift.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

The maintenance interval on the fluid in this transmission is 105K. It'd be difficult to produce a situation with the correct fluid where a service was necessary anytime prior to 30K.

When I say serious problem, I'm basically referr> HT,

Reply to
hyundaitech

The interval is 105k? Hmm, odd because the schedule of maintenance if I recall said every 16k or something thereabouts. I'd have to dig it up but that's what I got from my dealer. I did see on hyundaiusa.com that the schedule is 105k but it doesn't jive with what I remember or have been doing. Even if it were 105k, there is no harm is replacing the fluid every 16-18k so long as it is the right fluid, correct?

I guess I could always ask the dealership what it would cost for re-man'ed trans but with 139k, I am just planning on keeping it for a few more years and upgrade to something like the Tucson. Back in the day, the Tucson had way worse mileage than my Sonata, now they blow it away! Amazing.

I just sunk $1300 into my car to have all the brake and fuel lines underneath repaired because the salt just rotted them out so I don't think it's worth hitting the trans. I like my car a lot and have been happy with it but I'm looking down the line at something I can hook a small boat up to and do some fishing.

As it is, I am not sweating the problem and can only attribute it to buildup that gets stiff when it gets cooler outside. If it gets any worse, I can always go to the dealer by my work and pick their brain. Thanks very much for the tips and advice.

difficult to produce a situation with the correct fluid where a service was necessary anytime prior to 30K.

overhaul or replacement necessary. Remanufactured transmission are typically available from the dealer for a low enough price that overhaul isn't worth considering.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
hyundaitech

Many dealers have their own schedule for maintenance. It is designed to enhance their profits. The manufacturers have a rather good idea of when service is really needed so follow that schedule.

My dealers says you should have fuel injection service done every year for $129. I've owned two fuel injected cars for the past 20 or 30 years and never had an injection problem. Had I followed what the dealer said to do, I'd be out well over $5000 in that time.

I forget just when the carburetors gave way to injection, but you get the idea.

I'm a firm believer in doing what is needed, but I'm also not going to give my money away for no benefit.

As far as causing damage, it can do a lot of damage to your wallet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Noted.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]