Toyota XM Satellite Radio Option

I am considering the purchase of a 2005 Camry XLE.

I would like to get the XM Satellite Radio option, but when I asked the salesman about it (I saw that the car's stereo controls had a button labeled "Sat"), he didn't think that the dealership could add such an option.

Has anyone had this option installed? Has anyone found that XM,'s decoder for stereos with a satellite option works with the Toyota stereo (it's considerably cheaper)?

Thank you.

Robert

Reply to
Robert D. Vanderslice II

The salesman has his head up his ass.

There is an XM module that acts as the receiver, and the radio head unit performs the control functions. If you bought a SkyFi or Roady, then the XM unit would perform both the control functions and the receiver functions, your Toyota is able to handle the control functions, all it needs is the receiver. The dealer can install the system. Actually, it is possible that the car can have the system fully installed at the factory ...

PS I have the aftermarket XM (I have the Roady), and I love it. I seldom listen to "regular" radio anymore. The only major problem is that satellite radio goes away when passing under an overpass. I live in a reasonably rural area, and when going under an overpass the radio often fades out for a few seconds but when I go to Los Angeles Airport, I find that the satellite radio works fine inside the parking structures and among the tall buildings. It was explained to me that urban areas have ground-based relay stations that allow uninterrupted reception. I have no clue that this is an accurate explanation, but I know that my radio worked below three or four decks of parking garage where all of the decks are above ground.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

salesman about it (I saw that the car's stereo controls had a button labeled "Sat"), he didn't think that the dealership could add such an option.

This car should be prewired. Check out the following thread for details. I would definitely go with the Toyota unit as opposed to a Plug & Play; the Toyota part will integrate much more nicely into your car.

frontmed

I don't see a listing for Toyota yet, but it you have the SAT button, I imagine it is coming. Look at

.Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thank you all for the information!

I currently have the SkyFi, and have had XM since its inception.

I think that I wil get the Toyota tuner, and have someone install it for me.

Robert

Reply to
Robert D. Vanderslice II

that my radio worked below three or four decks of parking garage where all of the decks are above ground.

It is. XM has some 800 "repeaters", mostly in urban areas, which serve to insure a good signal. To minimize the loss of signal under overpasses, etc., there are two satellites transmitting signals a few seconds apart, and the receivers have buffers for a few seconds' programming. Still, there are occasions where you get stuck under an overpass for a few seconds and will lose signals. I lose mine when I drive through the car wash, too....

Reply to
frontmed

Will XM reach Mexico ? I plan driving to Cancun.

Reply to
E Arredondo

I'm not sure it will reach all the way. Here are the satellite footprints:

I think you will get decent reception MOST of the way.

Reply to
frontmed

Ok, but which one is which? One the first one, I am just outside of the best reception area; on the second one, they actuall recognize Boston as a good market area and we get the best reception area.

Reply to
hachiroku

It really doesn't matter. You'll get decent reception even in the blue/purple areas.

Essentially, you get both signals (plus any local repeater signal) and your receiver decides what to do. As long as you're in part of the footprint you're probably going have near-perfect reception.

Reply to
NoDownTime