1991 Isuzu Rodeo Guru Help Needed

I just ended up with a 1991 Isuzu Rodeo with V6, (not sure of the engine size yet, but I'll check if its important), automatic transmission and 4 wheel drive, that has a problem with the transfer case, or the shifter for same. It was either take the thing, or totally loose out on a couple of hundred bucks I was owed.

I never actually drove this vehicle, other than when being towed in reverse the couple of blocks from where it was, to my place, (long story behind this left to the imagination). So, I can only convey the story told to me by the previous owner. Apparently, they were driving along in 2WD when the vehicle slipped out of this gear range and they couldn't shift back into it, so they stopped and used 4WD, until several miles down the road, this happened again in this gear range. When I try to shift through the transfer cases gears, it doesn't feel like its going into any of the high range gears, but does feel like it shifts into the 4WD Lo position. But it still doesn't move when I put the transmission into gear, even though the engine does slow down slightly when the transmission is in gear.

What I'm wondering is, if there might be a pin broken in the shifter, or maybe a shift fork broken, or loose, that prevents shifting the transfer case? (Just a guess on my part.) Also, if anyone knows which other brands and models of transmission and transfer case are interchangeable with this vehicle, I'd please let me know. If its going to be a big hassle finding parts, or if its really expensive, I would be willing to consider swapping in a standard transmission, with all the extras involved with doing that, but for now, I'd just like to get the thing drivable again with whats there, if thats possible.

Thanks.

Reply to
MaxAttacks

Following up to my own post, I found that the previous owners of this vehicle didn't know what the real problem was, since it wasn't the transfer case, or at least it was more than just the transfer case. After I posted the previous message, I found some spare time to put a battery into the Isuzu and tried shifting through the transfer cases gears, when I noticed that when I pressed on the gas a bit when in 4 Hi and 4Lo, it seemed to be trying to move. But when I had it in 2Hi, I just heard a rubbing noise under the vehicle.

Not wanting to get out and look underneath while the engine was running and it was in gear, I opted for jacking up the back end and putting it on blocks, before doing this. When I did, I found that the drive shaft was turning, (I think maybe the steady bearing might be going as this seemed to be the source of the rubbing sound), but the rear tires didn't turn. And with the engine turned off and the transmission in park, the drivers side rear tire could be spun as if there wasn't anything connected to it. It started to rain about then, so I put off further investigation until tomorrow, weather permitting.

I'll be taking the inspection cover off of the rear end and having a good look at how things mesh, first chance I get, but I'm suspecting that the axle shaft snapped, (if I'm lucky). I'd rather replace a broken axle shaft than try to replace the crown and pinion gears, or the entire rear end.

I'm still interested in parts interchange info if anyone has any for the drive train on this vehicle. Thanks!

Reply to
MaxAttacks

Well, today I got the inspection cover off and found that there wasn't any fluid in the rear end, (someone had had that cover off before and used that silicone gasket stuff instead of a proper gasket, when they put the cover back on), and the pinion gear was now gearless. So, now it looks like I'll need to hunt up a used crown and pinion, (and a manual so that I can install them correctly). Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for help, since there doesn't seem to be much activity in this newsgroup.

Reply to
MaxAttacks

Tou might try asking over at

Much more active. You might also want to try
for a complete (or partial) rear end. You'll need to know which ratio yours had.Andy

99 Amigo
Reply to
Busman

Thanks Andy. I'll check those links out.

I sure hope they stamped the crown gear with the ratio, because I can't use the old method of marking the tire and turning the driveshaft to figure out the ratio without any teeth on the pinion gear. I did find one website that seems to have a good selection of parts at reasonable prices, but they show about 7 different gear ratios and unless I can match up the ratio from the front axle, to match the rear.

But then with that auto locking feature and questionable hub condition, I don't think that would work. It seems that when the previous owner lost driving ability in 2Hi, they switched to 4Hi and blew that too. So I think I'll be replacing the hubs with manual ones, since I haven't heard too many good things about the "auto" locking hubs. I think at least one of the hubs is still engaging when the engine accelerated enough, but it only engages for a moment, (long enough to spin the tire for a few inches on dry pavement), then seems to disengage again.

Due to the over all condition of the body on this Isuzu, I'm thinking of restoring it with some minor repair and a new paint job top and bottom, (including undercoating). But first, I just want to make it drivable, which means fixing the rear axle and brakes. The same previous owner had said that the brakes needed bleeding and were "spongey", when in reality I found that the brake line to the drivers side rear brake line was separated from the fitting about an 1/8th", so dirt and moisture have been getting to both rear slave cylinders. (Yet another part of the project, but I'll do it while I'm under there.)

As for parts sources, I may end up going to the do-it-yourself auto wrecker ("Pick 'N Pull") in a week or so. Its about 60 miles from here, but considering the prices and numerous other items I have to get, its worth it. I'm in western Canada and with my budget, I can't afford to many retail items, unless I find cheaper sources in the U.S.A. Anyway, I'll go check those links out. Thanks again!

Reply to
MaxAttacks

Unfortunately, you are right...not a lot of activity here...

There are a lot of Rodeo owners over on the E-ZooZoo group on Yahoo Groups -

Good luck with your repair work!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley