Disco Vs Trooper - shocking result!

Bro-in-Law visited a year or two back in his Trooper Citation. Alternator failed during visit. Nearest one located in Birmingham (we were in West Wales). Seven days to get it shipped here and - wait for it - 700GBP.

Fitted, obviously ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Very strange.... Here in the Netherlands, a town (17.000 inhabitants) where I live I can get one within two miles from my home. After market indeed. But why go to the dealer for just an alternator. Costs...125 Euro's (around 110 USD, don't know in GBP) Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

I think you see so many of them because of the looks... They certainly look great.

Agree.

Parts may be cheap in the U.K. but certainly not on the continent.

Has to do with love for the cars. They keep on restoring them. And they should. I love to see all the old one's around. No one is interested in restoring an old Japanese rig. They do not have the looks. They are just trown away and replaced by new ones. The lovers are keeping the old LR's driving not the users. N.B. I would really like to own one of these Australian Defenders fitted with a non turbo 3.9 litre Isuzu diesel engine. Problem, living on the continent: They are only available in right hand drive.

Statistics.....You are right. Even overhere you will find more LR's as Troopers. The latest are rare.

Even the Dutch army uses Defenders as well as Mercedes. The U.S. also uses a large number of Humvee's. Defenders is a minority and they are not street legal in the U.S. anymore. Not available for the local people in the U.S.

I would like to give you 90% because of your serious response.

Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

On or around Sun, 23 May 2004 00:49:46 +0200, Erik-Jan Geniets enlightened us thusly:

I daresay you can get aftermarket ones here. It may not be possible to get one on spec though, it might need ordering.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If it not in stock overhere they do a rebuilt of the broken one. Takes a couple of hours. Includes a one year warranty also. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Fair enough. There were Isuzu dealers much nearer than Birmingham when my B-in-L needed his, but none had any in stock, and the one that did took a week to ship it. I don't know what this tells us, but it aint very good.

Erm... my point was that this was an Isuzu part, following the thread that said Jap parts were expensive. QED, I think. We all know that aftermarket parts are cheaper, but that's true of any car. He wanted an Isuzu part for an Isuzu vehicle - not an unreasonable request.

700 quid!
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Car manufactures do not make alternators, starters, exhaust systems, brake parts, spark plugs, light bulbs, shock aborbers, wipers, tow hooks, bearings, or whatever. So after market is as good as original. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets

On or around Sun, 23 May 2004 23:46:13 +0200, Erik-Jan Geniets enlightened us thusly:

that depends. some aftermarket "recon" units are no such thing, or are worked on to a lower standard.

aftermarket new stuff may or may not be as good as OEM depending on who made it. most aftermarket electrical bits like alternators is reconditioned, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Agreed, very true. Kind regards, Erik-Jan

Erik-Jan Geniets

I think you are missing the point, Erik-Jan. I *know* that the alternators aren't made by Isuzu. I *know* that aftermarket parts are cheaper. My example was in support of the statement that Jap parts (i.e. spare parts ordered through the dealer network) are more expensive than Land Rover (much earlier in the thread). Genuine Isuzu alternator - 700GBP. Genuine Land Rover alternator - 100GPB approx? Dunno, never had to buy one. Mine have always been reliable ;-)

If we follow your argument to its logical conclusion, you could say that no car has more expensive parts than any other, because you can always find a cheap aftermarket version for anything. And that is nonsense.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Erik-Jan Geniets writes

That's about 3 times the population of the whole of West Wales (not counting the sheep).

Reply to
hugh

On or around Mon, 24 May 2004 18:28:24 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

about £300 for a 300 TDi.

aftermarket ones are about a ton-40.

mind, that's the hundred amp big-sod one.

I daresay the more mundane 65A or whatever are cheaper.

hmmm. that reminds me, meant to get new belts for the disco, the ones on it look a bit old.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I used to, but my bed collapsed from all the notches I had carved. Happy days...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Count the sheep, that is.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So, you live in Wales or Cumbria.

Reply to
hugh

You see so many of them in the UK because they are locally built.. Nothing to do with their towing reliability, maybe something to do with chauvinistic buying habits..

right again, Isuzu stuff is prohibitively expensive.

See above, has to do with traditional buying patterns etc not reliability. Isuzus are very reliable, Land Cruisers probably are too, cant speak for the rest of the Jap 4x4s.

not sure, but if LRs are less reliable then its a moot point.

Noise is something we all have to live with in the SUV world..

They would because of political expediency. Besides, they prefer their Hummers..

Reply to
Ray Laughton

125 Euro = $150 = about £84 today according to
HTH
Reply to
Ray Laughton

poor sod..

Reply to
Ray Laughton

issue,

Japanese

A four ton towing capacity has a lot to do with it. Small farmers and traders need that capacity.

I do not notice much noise in my Land Cruiser. My Isuzu is certainly relitively noisy but it is much quieter than the old Discovery 200TDi and VM powered Range Rover.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Lacking towing capacity details for the Trooper so I'll use horsepower to compare: The only 3liter diesel engine comparison I can find amongst the LR models is the Range Rover which has 15HP more than the Trooper, but its in a much higher price category. The nearest Disco model has

2.5L and 23HP less..

When I said 'we' I meant ordinary Joes who drive off-road vehicles.. Your LC is in a much higher price category and you know it, you snob :)

Reply to
Ray Laughton