Car won't start - InTank Fuel Pump May need Changing

Have a 10 year old Jaguar Daimler XJ6 and the car will not start. Had this checked by the RAC and was told the fuel pump needs to be changed. The fuel pump is in the tank and the manual suggests that one first removes tank from car. Is this really necessary?

Cannot really afford to pay huge sums for this and am not really sure changing fuel pump will fix problem.

Any tips on how best to procced?

Reply to
Jerry

Get a manual: have fun. Not to bad of a job unless the tank is full!

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Can't get to it without removing the tank.

RAC=Royal Automobile Clinic? I don't know if I would trust those guys. Did you check for a spark?

-jk

Reply to
jk

I'd like to be really sure it is the fuel pump at fault here - there are a number of reasons why it wouldn't run - collision/impact detector cutoff, ECU not detecting ignition pulses / engine rotation. If you can wire up to the pump separately from the car wiring and it doesn't supply fuel (undo a line) then its naffed.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil

I had this problem on my XJS 4.0ltr ... i found it was the fuel pump relay, bad connections.

Reply to
Neil Winn

try pissing in the fuel tank.

regards,