Florida Road Trip /XK8

Re-hi Jaguar folks!

It's been awhile since my California "Road Trip" post. But I landed in Orlando, FL, Yesterday morning and rented the '05 XK8 convertible. I put on approx. 200 miles from Orlando to Ocala and back.

It was another "magic carpet" ride. Although it was raining and I didn't get to suntan my way up to Ocala and back, it was fun.

It was amazing driving at 70+ mph speeds (probably up to 95mph;) in the rain with the feeling of complete traction and control.

The front end looked great and in the fast lane got the same "get out of the way respect" that the XJ8 got at high mph.

The only downside with the convertible is that with the top up, there is a dramatic blindspot in the driver-side rear, to the point where I had to severely peek out over my shoulder to see what was clear. Naturally top down would be great.

Didn't listen to the stereo since I didn't where I was going and just didn't really need to after listening to the iPod on the flight anyway.

It had the same feel as the XJ8. Just smaller and sportier, with maybe an added year of technology updates and the same transmission with the manual throw shifting for fun!!! Especially came in handy since I never knew that Florida actually had hills.

The rear seats are really just for insurance purposes (that put it in a lesser sports car class), imho.

I'd agree with another poster that the XKR would be a nicer ride for the money, but for a one day road trip testdrive, again, I loved every minute, except not putting down the top and some morning and afternoon commute traffic, but, hey... into each life, some rain must fall!

And it did.

All the best,

Andy

Reply to