I need help identifying a bolt size for an E-type

My friend has a '68 Series 1 1/2 E Type DHC, US spec. There's a bracket welded onto the front of the firewall on the right side with two bolt holes 4" apart. He needs me to make a mounting plate to fit it and we don't know the bolt size for it.

Can anyone tell me the bolt size, and what the bracket was for originally? It looks original to the car, but it never had anything mounted on it as long as he had the car.

Thanks, Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

EdFielder

Bruno wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am restoring a 71 OTS Series II and 90% of the bolts are 5/16*24 thread. There are also #10*32 screws for washer bottle bracket on the right side and expansion tank on the left firewall. If you take a picture and post it maybe someone will be able to have a better idea.

Reply to
BushPilot

Hi Bruno.

This sounds like the bracket on which the hydraulic fluid reservoirs are mounted on the UK cars. They would be 5/16" UNF. I believe the washer reservoir is usually mounted here on US spec cars.

-- Simon Denman Classic Motoring - Jaguar E-Type Hire in The Cotswolds Web:

+44 1452 864050

Reply to
ETypeHireBod

Thanks guys!

The car is disable in my friends garage, and he didn't have the tools to measure it, although it looked like a 5/16" hole as best I could see. I'll have him pick up a 5/16"-24 and try it. Sounds like that'll probably do it.

-Bruno

"ETypeHireBod" wrote:

Reply to
Bruno