Bike Rack for Disco II?

Can anyone recommend a bike rack that works well with a Disco II?

Any potential problems with using the rear tire for the bike rack to attach onto?

Cheers,

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Born

DA4119 Disco II 4-cycle Carrier - Black £88.12 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Stuart

The ones that us the spare wheel bracket do stress the door a lot. The door design is meant to only take the tyre weight, so with up to four bikes, it is to much. The temptation is also to open the door with the bikes still loaded, cross your fingers that the hinges don't fail.

I had one of the Simbar door mounted racks. The weld failed after three years and about 2000 miles of use. The Dutch mechanic that welded it back together; said that the welded joint was not enough and should have extra angled plate to take the downward load pulling the weld apart. When I got home it went in the scrap heap.

The best thing is to go for one of the racks that use the tow bar bracket as this places the load straight onto the chassis. I can recommend Bik-Rak at

as these fit on the tow ball in a few minutes and can be used to carry more than bikes.

Andy

Reply to
ntlworld

On or around Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:13:59 GMT, ntlworld enlightened us thusly:

The door hinges are only just adequate for the wheel, without anything else. All the older ones have dropped due to hinge wear.

Reply to
Austin Shackles