re, HELP, HELP, HELP

To review, 1988 xj6 3.6 engine, quit and wouldn't restart. Towed home. Had spark at #1 cyl same time as comppresion. Put in new plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor anyway. (they were pretty old) #6 cyl was FULL of gas, me thinks, bad injector. replace injector. Drop oil, had approx one gallon of gas in it !!! Dry out cyls with compressed air, crank it over, no fire. Pull plugs, all plugs soaked with gas !! Anybody got an idea on where to look next?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Terry, Most likely your CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) is gone. It is mounted on the front of the engine over a toothed gear. If it is not working properly, it will send spark but the car will not run.

Worth a shot

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

But what I'm wondering is why so much fuel is being injected into the cylinders? I can crank the engine over for 10 sec and pull the plugs and see puddles of gas on top of the piston. And I do have spark at approx top dead center on #1 on comp. Do they have any kind of fuel enrichment for cold starting? I used to have a Datsun that did and if it went bad it would flood the cyl.

terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

How about a Toyota dealer.

Reply to
JimInsolo

New development, got most of the gas out of the cylinders, put the spark plugs back in, and unpluged all the wires to the injectors. Fired right up and ran for a secound til the gas was gone, fired it up again on starting ether. So it appears that it is just getting too much gas. Getting closer, I think?

terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas