Help!

I have a 1988 XJ6 with the 3.6 liter engine. This morning it died one mile from home at a stop sign, will crank over, has spark to the spark plugs, fuel pressure in the injector fuel rail. But I cannot detect any voltage at the fuel injectors. What kind of voltage should be at the injector? any other ideas?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

I don't know how to test voltage at the injectors, it would only be momentary, like a sparkplug, but my understanding is that you should be able to use a stethescope (or a length of hose to your ear) to determine if an injector is being triggered (while the engine is being cranked by someone else).

Are there any of those serious "engine failure" messages being displayed on the instrument panel when you try to start the engine?

Is the spark to the plug(s) a strong (blue) spark? I've heard that a Crank Position Sensor can go bad and allow the plugs to get spark (the absence of which is usually a giveaway), albeit not sufficient voltage spark.

Reply to
WayneC

I believe the injectors are all connected in parallel with a constant +12 volts connected to one terminal of each and the injectors are pulsed by momentarily connecting the other terminals to ground thru the Engine Control Module. One good way to tell if they are being pulsed is to remove a wire and connect a "noid" test light to the wire. The light should flash as the engine is being cranked. If there is no +12volts to any terminal, there is probably a fuse or relay problem.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Hello,

It is my opinion that you will find the injection computer "teats up".

BD

Terry Kangas wrote:

Reply to
Blake Dodson