S-Type, Problem Starting

Hi,

I have a 1999 Jaguar S-Type, with a 4.0 Litre V8.

Recently I've been having battery trouble (I believe) - After being in town the car would not start. The engine would turn over weakly then the car alarm would go off. After having the car removed by a towing company to the garage, they charged the battery and all was OK again.

For a couple of days anyway; then it happened again - but was at home this time. 1 hour at 11amps and it fired back into life (battery came to charge quite quickly)

This morning it refused to start again. Been charging it for a total of 9 hours today (11 amp charger, but it tapers off) - the interior car lights are brighter anyway and the charger seems to think it's nearly there... but still no go!!

Could it be anything else? It sounded like it was almost there, but it never started. Further attempts gave the alarm going off and weaker starter symptons along with the dials all going up and then back down?

It's got petrol in it, although not that much (reserve zone, but least a couple of litres in the tank)

Also; what could be causing the battery to go overnight? Is it shot? Battery is old (Original) 90Ah model.

Reply to
Loz

Yep. Batteries are cheap and is most likely the issue here. You could try this.. disconnect your battery after you charge it, and then re-connect it in the morning. If it is strong and starts your car easily, then I think you need to repair/replace your alternator. There are diodes in the alternator that keep electricity from flowing back into the alternator thus making the alternator a "motor", and pulling a current.

In these overloaded computerized cars it would be advised to replace the battery every 2 years.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Cheers.

Am getting the battery tested tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's the battery though, since it won't start even after freshly charging. Just can't seem to deliver enough current. Even the cars clock gained(!?) a couple of hours last night!

Reply to
Loz

have you made sure that the cable connections are clean and tight , a slightly hot joint will cost you dearly

Reply to
atec

Yup.

Someone tried to start it using one of those booster packs today and it never went. Though I suspect it might be as the vehicles own battery was pretty much dead?

Seems to have been taking it's charge at the moment, as to wether it can provide enough current though!!

Reply to
Loz

You expect a SEVEN year old battery to hold a charge?

After four years of use, even light use, the battery should be suspect #1 in such instances.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Unfortunately T.G., LOZ's post is about as expired as his battery was. The post you just responded to is over a year old.

Reply to
Hazey