What to buy?

I wish to own a Jaguar and I'm looking at a 1987 V12 coupe, 1990 V12 roadster and 1994 6 cyl roadster.

I like the new innovations on the 1994 but like the exterior styling of the older cars.

1) The verdict seems to run 50/50 on whether a prospective buyer should buy a car with the 6 cyl or 12 cyl. My car would be a weekend driver, so gas consumption is not that big of an issue. Overheating seems to be a trouble area. I'm looking for overall good reliability.

2) Almost every car I've looked at has either needed a window motor replaced or is in need of same. What is the problem?

3) Someone told me there was a change to the rear axle and brake change are easier on the newer cars. Is this true? What was the change?

Any and all comments to a newbie would be appreciated.

Reply to
Just Me

The newer the XJS, the more reliable it is likely to be, and the six will be inherently more reliable than the V12, which has 2 of just about everything to break. An XJS is definitely not a Lexus. That said, to me, an XJS without the V12 isn't really an XJS. My '84 hasn't been so unreliable as to be truly problematic, but it is not my daily transportation. It's been towed twice in the 10 years I've owned it, and most of my problems seem to occur upon starting it after it's been sitting for an extended period without being driven (my bad). I love the smooth power, and the lack of engine vibration when sitting at a signal idling at 600 rpm. I've heard rumors that some parts are becoming unavailable, though, such as the distributor vacuum advance; perhaps others can comment on that issue. Before you buy one, make sure you have a local shop with expertise in the V12.

Reply to
WayneC

These cars really are better used every day, but then that is true of all cars. If it's your daily driver you are much more likely keep all the little maintenance items up to date, plus there is less likelihood of seals drying out, oil sludge accumulating, damp in the electrics, battery problems, etc.

No reason why a V12 should be any more unreliable than the XJ40-engined cars. In fact, a well-maintained late V12 is probably a better bet than an early XJ40. History is everything with these cars. You need to be buying from someone who has all the paperwork detailing the work that has been done on the car over the last few years.

That the youngest of these cars is more than 12 years old?

The cars do not have a rear axle as such as they have independent rear suspension. The classic Jaguar IRS has inboard rear brakes either side of the differential. They are difficult to get at and can be affected by oil from a leaky diff.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts