xj6 starts sometimes

I've got a 1993 Jaguar XJ6. It runs like new, when it runs. Frequently after shutting it off for 20 or 30 minutes it just will not start. I'm getting fire from the coil wire and gas is flowing. Its driving me nuts! The engine just keeps turning over and over and over but will not start. I'd leave it and come back after a day or so and it starts right up. I drove it to work a week ago and it hasn't started since.

Reply to
roto

I would almost bet that your CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) has gotten squirrelly. It is a common problem and easily resolved. It is located in the front of the engine on the right side and is held on my a 5MM Allen wrench bolt. The wires run back to a connector on the wing.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thank You very much...I'll see about getting another one and replacing it

Reply to
roto

I tried putting in a new CPS, but the problem is still there. The car will not start. Anything else I can try?

Dan

Reply to
roto

Dan, I suggest you go to

and click into the XJ40 list. This is a group of owners with much more experience. Raise your question and see what they say. Tell them you replaced the CPS because that is the first thing to go. Keep the CPS in your trunk because you WILL need it in the future.

Reply to
webserve

Frequently

I'd look closely at your cap. Verify fuel pressure.Are your plugs premium and fresh? Then I would look for air leaks in the intake system. And lastly in my creative mind - Could your injectors be leaking and flooding the car? Next time you get a no-start do this - Hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine for at least 10 seconds. The ECU will see the full throttle position whilst cranking and will cut/reduce the fuel to the engine during cranking. If you car starts then I would say its time to replace your fuel injectors and check the regulator.

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson

This is exactly how my 1990 sovereign acted when the fuel pump (finally) failed completely. For a while there I thought I was getting fuel also because it went intermittent for a while.

Reply to
Oldbie