Explorer Starts... Sometimes

I just recently encountered a problem with my 94 Explorer, it sometimes does not start, no click, no turning over, just a faint grinding sound like something is trying to happen, but not. Then sometimes it will start. I just recently put in a new starter motor in. All the electrical works when I turn the key, just sometimes it doesnt start. any thoughts? thanks Pete

Reply to
psos20

My first two suspects would probably be the ignition switch and the positive battery cable. The cables tend to deteriorate inside the insulation.

Reply to
Ulysses

Are the bolts on the starter tight??? Where the conditions similar before the starter replacement? Is te replacement starter a good quality unit or was it selected with pricing as the driving factor? Was the rest of the system serviced at the same time? (battery connections, grounds, battery test...). Why was the original starter replaced.... could the ring gear be bad?

Reply to
Jim Warman

You got me thinking--I once had a starter motor that didn't work while installed but worked fine when out of the vehicle. It turned out to be worn brushes and it would make contact if the starter was turned a certain way. Maybe OP got a poorly assembled rebuilt.

Reply to
Ulysses

Some rebuilders (I don't know f this is just a Canada thing or not) are offering an "economy" line of rebuilts... These units are basically "reconditioned" rather than "rebuilt". I don't think I would use these on any of my vehicles.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Here in California we generally have a choice of 3 different grades of rebuilt: Cheap with a very short warranty, Medium price with a 1 year warranty, and Expensive with a lifetime warranty (or at least several years). I believe that at least part of the price is the warranty period but nonetheless I agree and never buy the cheapest part.

Reply to
Ulysses

I had the same problem a couple years back on my '91 Explorer. It would only happen sometimes. I would have to giggle the positive battery cable and it would eventually start. I replaced both battery cables. Two years and I've never had a problem since.

Reply to
ph