'00 XJ - A/C possible problem? Loud groaning on switch-on..

"00 XJ with 50k, sanden compressor. According to pressure gauge I'm seeing about 30psi from the low port. Thermometer in center vent reading about 39f with 75f ambient after driving around, center vent about 55f at idle.

When the A/C hasn't been on for a while (like overnight or an afternoon), when first switched on the compressor groans and sounds like it is going to come apart. After about 10-15 seconds it settles down and all is well. Serpentine belt is tensioned correctly.

A/C works fine, but this happening at switch-on is really starting to worry me.

Excess air in system? too much oil? or gas?

thanks for any help.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Marc did pass the time by typing:

Or the electric clutch/bearings. Where is the noise coming from? A piece of rubber hose stuck in your ear and pressed against the compressor will let you know where the noise is coming from.

There should be no air in the system at all, just R134a. If someone stuck in loads more oil then it probably wouldn't grone it would just seize.

Before you start guessing try finding a local A/C service place that will give you a free (or low cost) estimate.

Reply to
DougW

Hi

I've had it since late Feb. and no one has put anything in it, I borrowed a pressure gauge from the neighbor down the street. He said that 30psi is fine, and the output temps are fine as well.

But it wouldn't make the noise for him when he came down. It is like a "rrrmmmph, rmmmphh, rmmmphh" and then it will just settle down and it is ok then. I can let it run for say 10 minutes on a drive, then shut down, restart 30 minutes later and when switched-on it won't make the noise then.

The electric clutch is > Marc did pass the time by typing:

Reply to
Marc