03 Jeep Liberty check engine code P 0455

Today I was driving to work ( 03 Jeep Liberty ) and the "check engine" light came on. When I got to work and got out of the car I noticed my gas cap was off and just dangling there. I replaced the cap and went to work. When I got off work and headed home I noticed the "check engine" was still on. I got home and went online to check out the situation. From what I read it was suggested I turn the ignition 'on-off, on-off, on' within a 5 second interval which is what I did. P 0455 was the result. Looking that up revealed "P0455 Evaporative Control System - Large Leak detected". I assume this was the missing gas cap. But the "check engine" light still keeps coming on. Aside from disconnecting the battery is there any other way to clear the error code ? I have read that it should go out after "a few normal driving cycles". Yes, no, maybe ?

2003 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 L, 88K miles, 2 W/D

TIA

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

The lower end scantools can do this. I'd get a good mid-range one. It's a good investment in fixing other issues if they crop up. Figure about $60 or so for a good one.

That or you can stop by PepBoys or AutoZone and get a loaner. PepBoys used to check for free and reset the DTC codes. Haven't been to one since my ZJ is OBD-I :)

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for replying. I will look into said tool. As it stands, the light finally went out after about my 6th and rather lengthy trip running errands.

Now I have to wonder why my gas cap was off to begin with. It had been a few days since I had gassed up and I surely would have noticed had I left it dangling as it was. Looks like I had better also look into a locking gas cap. I suspect that someone has tried syphoning my tank... A sign of the times.

Thanks again.

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley