1980 CJ7

I recently purchased a 1980 CJ7. Motor is a straight 4, pretty sure

2.5, this was uncommon and probably wolnt be staying for long as I am in the process of finding and rebuild a 305 or 350. Does anyone know what kind of transmission, transfer case, front end and rear end it has in it. I have looked it up but everything I have found about a CJ7 either has the straight 6 or a V8.
Reply to
gogglebox885

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Here's some links for you:

links to articles on engines, transmissions, axles, cooling and more.
to articles about jeep engines, including this one on your 151 (no one here will refer to mid-80s and earlier engines by their litre displacement, only their cubic inch displacement):
The 151 (2.5L) inline 4 engine was used in '80-'83 CJs including the CJ-8, CJ-7, and CJ-5. The 151 is often called the "Iron Duke", but is actually a Pontiac engine designed to replace the Chevy "Iron Duke" I4 engine. The engine does have the Chevy bell housing bolt pattern though. The engine is [...] The neat part about the engine is it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a Chevy small block. [unquote]

Article on Jeep V8s:

Good luck.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

It will likely have a Dana 30 front, an AMC20 rear (w/4.10 gears?), a T-176 tranny (if manual), and a Dana 300 transfer case.

Reply to
JimG