dumb questions but gotta ask

I've been reading how more comfortable the newest Corvettes are for long hauls. How does it compare to riding in a Lexus 3xx or 4xx car for a long trip (for the driver and passenger in their 60's)? Yeah I'm aware of the nature of each car but I'm thinking the Corvette supposedly is getting more comfortable with each newer generation so I had to ask. Of course I'm a bit naive because I haven't test drove either to compare for myself so that's why I'm asking.

Another dumb question is let's say the wife and I are retired (60's) and we drive the Corvette cross country for vacations. I don't usually speed but on occasion either intentional or unintentional, I might go over the posted limit by 5 to 10 mph. Now am I asking for trouble driving a Corvette compared to a Lexus or even a Honda? Inotherwords, do you find cops to be more eager to ticket you? I know from experience once owning a red car they were (not a Corvette).

Reply to
Tom D.

thats like compairing apples to oranges. take those test drives and learn first-hand. whats comfortable for one may or may not be comfortable for you.

speeding is speeding, whatever you are driving. there are some out there that will ticket their own mother and there are some that will write warnings all day.. they don't care what you are driving..

my2¢

-- 'Key

Reply to
'Key

Oh to be in my 60s again, but then I was when I drove a 2004 from Ohio to Washington state and then to South Carolina. Never owned a rice car so I can't compare them but did own my share of Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Cadillacs, (Eldorado and Seville). Don't any more, the Corvette is the travel unit of choice year round. I've been in 17 states with this one so far and have no problem getting into it and driving 12 hours with bladder stops out numbering gas stops.

Don't listen to anyone that answers your post though, go drive one, rent it if you have to but do it. I've driven and owned all 6 generations and I'm sure it will be the last car I drive, it's the only way to go.

Color doesn't seem to be the reason I've been stopped, only once in a red one but they sure loved the black and the silver.

Reply to
Dad

'How does it compare to riding in a Lexus 3xx or 4xx car for a long trip (for the driver and passenger in their 60's)? '

REPLY: The newer Corvettes have the typical stiff ride that a sports car is known for ; however, it has gotton better if you get the standard factory suspension. The most ive been able to drive my 2006 Corvette without needing to stop and stretch is approx. 6 hours at one time. Thats not too bad for a Sports Car.

'Now am I asking for trouble driving a Corvette compared to a Lexus or even a Honda? Inotherwords, do you find cops to be more eager to ticket you? I know from experience once owning a red car they were (not a Corvette). '

REPLY: If youre speeding and they get you on Radar, youll most likely get a ticket regardless of the car youre driving ; nowadays, Police Depts. see ticketing as revenue for thier village. So, the idea is, to not give them revenue and obey the Road Laws.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

If you want to be able to speed right past the cops drive a "stock" not "flashy" pickup truck. They (almost) NEVER pull over trucks for simply speeding...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Well both my wife and I are well into out 60's... and my TRAVEL VEHICLE is my C5 ... and it has the Z51 stiff suspension ...! Still on major highways it is extremely comfortable for hours ! My 95 also was good for long trips ... Now There is absolutely no way that I will dirve my other Corvettes for more then 2 hours ...and again being honest when we take one of the older cars on a trip we seem to stop at every rest area even even if they are located only 50 miles apart... Did the 1999 National Caravan in my 72 and both my wife and I were hurting on many evenings...

Never had a problem getting speeding tickets on trips as I just go with the flow of traffic all my speeding tickets were "obtained" locally just having fun and using more of my right foot then I should have...

Bob G.

64 72 & 98 Verts 76 & 79 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

they sure do pull over trucks in my state..

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

If you want to be able to speed right past the cops drive a "stock" not "flashy" pickup truck. They (almost) NEVER pull over trucks for simply speeding...

"they sure do pull over trucks in my state.. my2=A2

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Thanks all for answering my dumb questions. Appreciate the non-flames too. I guess it's obvious I have to test drive both to see which I like to drive for road trips.

Reply to
Tom D.

Now am I asking for

Well, of course the Lexus is more comfortable than a Vette. I'd say it's how much control you have over your wife on which one you get. I've got a

2004 C5 Z06 and I love to drive it. Can't keep my foot outta the gas. But it ain't to comfortable on a long trip. Rough. Loud. and the floor gets hot. And everyone from BMW 5's, to Mustang GT's to Dodge Magnums wants to race me in the hills, and gets their ass kicked. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

So do you want to have fun in fair comfort or to please SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)?

Of course a hi-po wants to ticket a Vette. Buy a nice radar detector and keep an eye in your mirrors.

Buy the Vette and sleep on the couch,

Ed

Reply to
Spud

My wife and I are in our late mid-60's. She has a 50th AE Convertible, automatic and I have a '04 Z06, six speed. We just came back from Carlisle, PA 1,800 mile round trip in my Z06 (28.1 mpg). We would travel 7 hours at a time with 2 hour stop interval. I was more comfortable in the Corvette than I was in a 2003 Tahoe which we drove to CA last year. We are going on a 7,000 mile round trip to CA and back in her convertible. Let the fun begin. My car is faster than a speeding ticket. Nine miles over the limit on the interstates have never been a problem. On the back roads, 15 over has been the rule. No tickets in

40 years.
Reply to
fh

Geez here in Texas 4-5 over will get you pulled over and handed a $100 ticket, and more... (AMERICAN-STATESMAN Sunday, September 30, 2007 "An Austin police corporal who pulled over a man along a busy highway on Thanksgiving 2006 for driving five miles per hour over the limit ordered the driver out of the car and then shocked him with his Taser stun gun as the motorist appeared to question what was happening, according to a videotape from the officer's patrol car camera." video -

(you might have to register on the site to see this) Where do you live I want to move there! Austin SUCKS now and the cops are pigs. Butcher '96 LT-4 CE

Reply to
Butcher

I live in Tucson. Here, they usually won't ticket for less than 11 over. If they are cracking down, maybe 10 over will get your a ticket.

I was doing 75 in a 55 in the left lane on a city street. The highway patrol was hidden in my blind spot. He turned on his lights, and I slowed down, and pulled over to the right lane. He speeded up to be ahead of me, then slowed down to 55. I changed lanes again, so that I was behind him. That was that.

Six months later, almost the same thing with the same cop. This time, he followed me into the entrance to my work, where I pulled off the road. He said "This is a nice open road that tempts drivers to go too fast. With a nice car like that, I'm sure you want to drive fast. Slow down, or I'm going to have to write you up."

My last ticket was 1975. That was at 3:00AM on the Northern State Parkway on Long Island, New York. I guess I'm just lucky.

Jim '93 40th anniversary with 65K miles

Reply to
JimH

I guess its lucky your in Tucson.. wouldn't happen that way with a La. trooper...

Reply to
'Key

I hate to hear this as my daughter goes to UT Austin and I frequent there. I try not to speed but I'll keep this in mind.

Reply to
doug

Yeah Jim, I used to travel the same Northern State but not at 3AM. I usually got my speeding tickets on or near the LIE.

Reply to
doug

Gulf Breeze, Florida is every bit as bad. It used to be the top of Google's list when typing in "Speed Trap" It's an income generating outfit. Not out to protect public safety. If that happens while they are generating income, so be it....

Reply to
Ric Seyler

Almost all local Law Enforcement Organizations nation wide have transitioned into Revenue Generation Organizations. Most police chiefs who refused to comply have been replaced.

:-(

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

More comfortable than previous Corvettes and other sports cars, eh?

How does it compare to riding in a Lexus 3xx or 4xx car

You need to spend at least an hour driving at highway speed to determine what *YOU* consider comfort. FWIW, my wife and I consider the Corvette too noisy for long (thousands of miles) trips.

I hope your wife packs light 'cause the lift-over into the Corvette luggage space is high.

I don't

IMHO, cops try to avoid ticketing Corvettes so long as they're not being driven stupidly. Cops pursue BMWs and Porsches with a passion.

Not all Corvettes are Red. They also come in other, wrong, colors. :-)

Reply to
ACAR

:>On Oct 9, 5:08 pm, Tom D. wrote: :>> I've been reading how more comfortable the newest Corvettes are for :>> long hauls. :>

:>More comfortable than previous Corvettes and other sports cars, eh?

Yes, *I* do. I was tired after 5 minutes in a 1996 Viper. A Countache? Fugetaboutit. Talk about noise....

:> How does it compare to riding in a Lexus 3xx or 4xx car :>> for a long trip (for the driver and passenger in their 60's)? :>

:>You need to spend at least an hour driving at highway speed to :>determine what *YOU* consider comfort. :>FWIW, my wife and I consider the Corvette too noisy for long :>(thousands of miles) trips.

Our 2005 C6 took us, two hunting dogs, 2 parachute bags, and three rifles, from MD to RI in complete comfort. I wouldn't have made the trip in any of our other cars.

:>> Another dumb question is let's say the wife and I are retired (60's) :>> and we drive the Corvette cross country for vacations.

Go for it! You'll have a wonderful time! :)

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel