1984 240DL Won't start

I 've had this car for 6mos. no real problems.

-a few days ago I noticed one tail light out. replaced bulb nope- ran wire from one to the next and got it to work. Next, today the radio cut in and out and then just died? but the cigar lighter still worked? (same fuse). Then several hrs and 40 miles later I turned off the car and now it won't start. just cranks. the dash lights and gauges don't change when the key is turned on interior light comes on and radio lights up but no digital display. Please Help

Reply to
Gil Agan

The tail light is probably either the bulb failure sensor (easy to resolder the circuit board inside) or the plug where the wiring harness plugs into the light assembly. Your other problems sound like oxidation in the fuse panel, there's multiple terminal lugs that wires connect to coming off of each fuse, if water gets in there it corrodes.

Reply to
James Sweet

Could it be just a dying battery? I only ask because when mine had a starting problem the battery got low but still cranked as if it was OK, the starter would not disengage and it kept cranking after the key was turned to off. Other weird things might also happen with low voltage.

Reply to
jg

It was oxidation and a bad fuse, all is well. I haven't checked the tail light yet. Thanks so much

Reply to
Gil Agan